Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automated NX installations

Pioneer
Pioneer

I am looking across forum for learning automated NX installtions

1. As of now user are installling following a install doc,
  2. we have windows/Mac users and who have not followed a stadard install Path
  3. Many users have nodelocked licenses to their laptop, compnay purchased Nodelock licenses because user complained performance issues while Travelling
  4. User access/save their data in cloud (No Teamcenter Yet, Plan is there)

To start i am looking at option to standardise the Native NX launch and centralised Installtion and configuration management

appreciate if you can write upon how your compnay manage the NX installtion and Site configuration (No Teamcenter)

Thank you

Ragh

4 REPLIES

Re: Not seeing drafting/Assembly templates

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I'd start here, I have based all the shared setting installs that I have done since 2001 or so, on the "NXcustom" foundation.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Programming-Customization-Forum/NXcustom-Utilitie...

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I would second the recommendation to use NXcustom.

Put it on a shared network drive  (e.g. S:\NX_Stuff\NX10)

If people need to to work "off line" with those settings, write a couple little utilities (I use .BAT) that do 2 things:

- when they are on-line, copy the NXCustom stuff to their C:\ drive (from the mapped drive)

- when they are off-line, map a drive to point to their C:\ drive (so all the paths are the same)

If you can (maybe too late now) I would centralize licensing, then allow borrowing for people to work off-network.

We push installs via Altiris, although migrating to SCCM(?) (Microsoft's product) at this time (and we only have Windows PCs.  We have a few macs,but no NX on them yet.)  I don't know what exists that supports multiple platforms.

Look at using tools for each platform to do installs.

Read the NX install guide to see if it can be done without user interaction (It can on PCs, not sure about Mac/Unix).

There is (somewhere) a file you can set up to map from Windows paths to unix paths.  E.g. "S:\NX_Stuff" = "/shared/nx_stuff".  So "load as saved" works cross platform.

Hopefully some places to start!

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

And I just realized this should really be split into its own thread.

Moderators, is there some way to split this discussion about installation to a thread separate from the templates issue?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@Ken_A, new thread started per your recommendation.

Regards, Ben