Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic part family member replacement in assemblies

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

I've been working with Creo Parametric for a very long time and now the company that I work for is switching to NX.

Does anyone now if there's a way to replace a part family member to another one using expressions to make it automatic?

In Creo there is a function called LOOKUP_INST, this function allows me to define some parameters in assembly and the function tries to find an instance that matches these parameters in the component, and if there's an instance that matches, I can make CREO replace the component automatically.

For example, if I have a line sketched in assembly with the length of 200mm, I can place my component using this line as reference and when I change the length of the line to 300mm, the instance that I placed will be replaced to another instance with the length of 300mm.

If anyone could help me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Evandro Stopa,

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Automatic part family member replacement in assemblies

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Evandro_Stopa ,

Welcome to Community!!!

Just one query, are all instances with same parameters or they're altogether different?

If they are same except parameter values, you can make use of interpart expressions to change values in instance.

Check this approach in video here: Assembly family drafts

Regards,
Samadhan

GTAC | NX Help: NX1102 | NX1202 | NX1847
Please mark post as an "Accepted Solution", if it answers your question/is more helpful!

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi SamadhanGaikwad,

Thanks for the help!

It's such a nice approach but not exactly what I need...

In my case I can't change the value of the instance because the same component will be used in a lot of assemblies.

For example, I create a rectangular tube and build a family varing the length every 5mm (from 5mm to 6000mm for example), each one with a different code.

Then I create a lot of sketchs in assembly working as a skeleton, I place one tube in each line, thus I'm going to have many different instances of the same component according to the length of these lines.

When I change the length of the lines in my assembly, the instances will be automatically replaced by the ones that match with the new lengths, so I'm not changing the values inside the instances, I'm replacing them.

Reminding that I can't change the value inside the instance bacause it will be used in many diffrent assemblies.

My company is switching to NX and for us this functionality would be very important.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Evandro_Stopa ,

What you have asked "Automatic Replacement" is not present as of now. However you can create parts as reusable componet and replace/edit reusable component and it's parameters at any time in context of an assembly.

Highlighted

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi @Evandro_Stopa ,

Part family member replacement does not generally happen automatically.

When adding members of a Part Family,user can define the selection criteria which  can be driven by expressions and the part family members can be automatically swapped in to response to an expression edit,followed by the 'Part Family Update' operation.

Please refer avi 'PFMember_update.avi' which shows how you can define selection criteria by linking the assembly expression to component expression so that updating assembly expression also replaces the part family member accordingly.

Product Template Studio (PTS) is other way to easily:

a) perform this expression edit and 

b) automate the subsequent "Part Family Update" operation

The attached AVI 'PTS_cleat_assembly.avi' shows a small assembly where the cleat body, the screws, and the lock washers are all Part Family members being intelligently swapped using one top-level "load" expression.

However, you need seperate license to operate PTS, need to build PTS for the assembly/parts, do modeling of the parts accordingly.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi  

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi guys, 

Thanks a lot to all of you that tried to help!!!!!