Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically importing customer defaults

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hello everyone!

Is it possible to automatically import customer defaults into NX somehow? I am interested in creating an installation batch file that would roll over some customization and that involves modification of some defaults that is currently done manually.

9 REPLIES

Re: Automatically importing customer defaults

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I have one question. Do you have one set of customer defaults that everyone points to or does each computer have its own files. The reason I ask is that managing one set of defaults would not be too much to worry about in my opinion.

Scott

Solution Partner Genius

It can be both ways depending on the particular customer. It might well be needed to attend each PC and therefore I am quite interested to fully automate that.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I think at this point you would need to write something to overwrite the file for the defaults yourself. I do not know of any of tool to that.

Scott

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Could you use different part templates for different customers?

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hello Scaffold,

Is this an opprotuninty for using group level customer defaults?

By creating several (potentially located on a network share) directories and setting the environment variable UGII_GROUP_DIR to one of the directories it is possible to maintain several differing collections of NX customer defaults and switch between them by changing the environment variable (in a desktop shortcut or launch script). These defaults at the group (or site) level have the option to be "locked" on an individual default basis where the given setting is not overridable by user level defaults.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/12/nx_help#uid:customer_defaults_default_levels_rt

This would remove the need to overwrite (import) defaults on each machine/user as the method of changing them.

Joe

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

We use the ugii_group_dir option, since we have slightly different requirments at our two facilities.  We use a bit of script in one of the start up .bat files, to check a list.  If the users name is on the list, they get group options A, if not, they get group options B.  You might be able to expand on this, with more if/then/else statements, based on customer.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Solution Partner Genius

I know about the user/site level defaults. The discussion has strayed well away from my original question, namely the possibility to cut on manual import of setting and doing this automatically - whether on user or site level is irrelevant. That would make the whole process easier and less prone to mistakes. 

I actually mean automating the pressing of this button and selecting a file to import some of the defaults over the existing ones.

s.png

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
How often do you do this ?
and why ?
"Om my site" we do that once when upgrading. ( i.e NX11->NX12)
but then never until the next upgrade.

Regards,
Tomas

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I'm not really sure about what you are trying to accomplish, but...

Have you looked at the "NXCustom" thread over in the "NX Programming & Customization" forum?

If not, download the ZIP for the appropriate NX version, read the "readme" at the top level, and figure out how it is set up.

My suggestion is to set up an NXCustom environment for each customer.

If you are a VAR/consultant, setting this stuff up for a customer/client, you can set it up on your PC, then put it on a network drive at the client's site (either mapped or "\\server\share\..." format), and have the customer run NX from their NXCustom setup.

If there's an issue, you can test on your system, and if needed, send them an update.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled