Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ballooning in NX 10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to stop the arrow/origin point from moving when you are adding balloons to a drawing in NX10. If I pick & drag on an edge of a part & then drag to create the leader, the arrow drags along the edge or creates an extended line off of the part before placing the balloon. I'd prefer to have the arrow point where I picked it rather than having to fight trying to drag the balloon to where the arrow goes & then having to drag the balloon to another position to place the balloon. Makes for a lot of extra unnecessary work. I swear that Seimens must own parts of the mouse divisions of Microsoft & Logitech for all of the extra unneeded mouse picks they require of the user.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Ballooning in NX 10

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If NX did behave as you've asked, when a user wished to utilize an extension line, he would be forced to select even more buttons/options.  Right now, it's two picks with some intermittent mouse movement.  Editing the arrowhead terminus on an existing item, after double-clicking the balloon object requires only two picks.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

John,

I don't follow how it would take more buttons/options to do what I've asked for. The way it's been in the previous versions is exactly how I've asked for & only took . You pick/hold down the pick button to place the leader & then drag to add the leader & then pick to place the balloon. There was no fishing around with intermittent mouse movements to place where the leader attached to the object if you picked on the edge of that object. So now in 10 you have to pick/drag to start an arrow with leader, then fish around for where you want the arrow to be placed & then pick to place the balloon. If the leader doesn't go where you needed it at you then have to double pick the balloon & then pick where you want the leader to attach. I don't see any advantage to why they changed this from previous versions.

Siemens Phenom

I may have not been as clear as I needed to be, for that I'm sorry.

As it's currently working in NX 10.0, IF (and I recognize that this is part of your issue) you are able to position the arrowhead location with some albeit additional mouse movement, the number of mouse clicks has not changed at all.  And where my implication that this would reduce mouse clicks/gestures is concerned, that was with respect to when users needed to add an extension line to make it clear where the balloon was pointing to as it can now be accomplished using the same workflow thus eliminating the need to offer either two selection methods, one for arrowheads pointing to actual geometry and one for adding an extension line, or having to invoke some additional gesture while placing the balloon in order to get the extension line to appear.

The intention of the changes made was to reduce the complexity of the workflow by eliminating the need for having to select additional options or for having to remember obscure gestures while at the same time not increasing the number of actual mouse clicks.  Granted, if you need to edit the arrowhead location after it has been placed, that does require additional selections and mouse gestures, but then that has not changed from how you edited arrowhead locations in the past.  In fact, it the not to distant past, you had to choose between several different editing options before evens starting to edit most drafting objects, particularity when it required changing something like the object being referenced by an existing annotation.  Now you simply double-click and you're offered, via the used of handles, the ease of getting to exactly what aspect of the annotation object that you wish to edit or modify.

Anyway, give it a shot, with a little experience you may soon be placing the arrowhead origins as quickly as you had been doing before while gaining the ability to instantly get extensions lines when needed without having to step back or starting over.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter

In order to avoid the "rubber-banding extension line", as I call it, you need to select the "select terminating object" button in the balloon or text dialog box.  Then you arrow will "stick" to where you select.  You have to select it every time.  I call it the lesser of the 2 evils.  STILL another mouse click.

Phenom
Phenom
Yes, this is not a smart operation to add balloon, but inappropriate workflow.It's a bug for me.
Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

Legend
Legend
I second that. This is not how it used to be and it is driving me nut.

Siemens Phenom

I don't get this. 

Is the Ballon function in NX 10 defaulting to create ballons WITHOUT leaders ?!?

How do i set it to "expect a leader" ?

As i understand it, i MUST click the  "select terminating object" ? Or ?

What am I doing wrong ?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

From what I've seen in previous versions balloons default to being without a leader if you just single pick to place the balloon. If you want to create a leader you are to place the curser onto the entity you want the leader attached and then pick & hold the left mouse button down and drag the curser to start a leader. You can then let up on the mouse button & place the balloon where you want it to be at.

Siemens Phenom

Sorry, i rest my case. 

the new thing is that i need to enable the "point on curve" button to get the same but extended functionality as in older versions of NX.

I assume that the point on curve button will be stored in my dialog memory.

I dont think that older versions had the "shift-drag" option.  Or ?

( after releasing the initial drag, a combination of Shift will slide the arrowhead on the selected object, and if necessary create extension lines. Note the drag shift combo on existing ballons also.)

It works as you , layke tool, describes. But with the "point on curve" requirement.

Regards,

Tomas