cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bending and unbending tubing

Phenom
Phenom

I have a user, that is trying to model, bend, and then unbend a piece of tubing, using sheet metal module.  He wants the unbent form, so it can be laser cut, and the bent for use in the assembly.

he's had no luck, and I've tried to help, but because it's not true sheet metal, and bends and normal cut outs are 90° to each other, they don't play well together.

So far, my best solution is to model it unbent, extract a body at time stamp, and then bend the original into the finished shape.  I was actually surprised he got the "Bend" feature to work, on hollow tubing.

Is there a better tool, or module to do this?  Mechanical routing maybe?

UnBent.JPGBent.JPG

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
37 REPLIES

Re: Bending and unbending tubing

Phenom
Phenom

May be my model will be useful.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/Bending-a-tube/m-p/427749#M15931

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
@DaveK
do you have a movie of how you create this?
i'm trying to do this but in wont work.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Phenom
Phenom

No, but I can upload the file.  You can see he started with a linked body, which was the original 3 piece tube, as reference.

I think you can follow the rest of his workflow.  The extracted body, was added by me, as a way to preserve the profile needed for laser cutting the tube with the notches.

-Dave

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Dave I took your stock body and used split body and move face to get it into the final position. I have attached the part file. I will think about a way I maybe able to do this by starting with the finished shape to move it into the straight shape. 

Scott

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks.  It just seems like we can't the the only company that would notch, and bend rectangular tubing like this, so I figured there would be some method, or capability within NX.

-Dave

Phenom
Phenom

Since no favorable answer here for this simple task within NX, I just look how easy it could be with other software.

It took me 15 minutes  to build a model with parametic capablity. It may take another 5 minutes to get a drawing and a DXF file.

(view in My Videos)

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Phenom
Phenom

@AmyReyes ; 

I’m trying to insert videos in MP4 & AVI formats with the video upload (Camera Icon) function; but it isn’t working anymore. Could you please check?

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Phenom
Phenom

I could download the videos, just not watch in the webpage.

That said, I could probably build a fully sheet metal file like that in NX, and get it to unfold, but ideally I'd like a tool that will bend/unbend rectangular tubing.  Getting the notches laser cut, and then folding, would seem to be a common industry practice.

-Dave

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @mike_fdo

I am able to attach videos without issue using the camera icon. If you are using Internet Explorer, please check your browser settings. Compatbility View Settings must be unchecked/set to off.

compatibility view.jpg

That is usually what causes most of the issues you're describing. Let me know if this works, and if not, I'll continue to work with you to find a solution. 

Thanks!

Amy