Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best File Type Choice For Easy Importing

Builder
Builder

Hey guys,

I am currently using NX 10 and am going to recieve 3d models of cities at work. I unfortunately don't know in what format I will recieve the files. However, I do know that they will be very similar to a model like this and that a possible format could be osm, vrml, dhx. I only care about the geometry/topography remaining when I import the model to NX. Unfortunately, this resource doesnt adress NX, so do you have any advice or experience for which file types are best for this type of modeling, which are most compatible with NX, and how do I go about importing such files to NX?

Thank you for your assistance!

4 REPLIES

Re: Best File Type Choice For Easy Importing

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You can use "File => Open" and open the file filter to see what NX is capable to open.

I would recommend STEP files is you want to change something.

If it is just for viewing, you can use STL.

NxFileTypes.PNGFile Open

NxFileImport.PNGFile Import

The complete import menu is shown with a open part file.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Note that the NX (parasolid?) model space is (or at least was) a one kilometer cube.

As (I assume) a city will be greater than 1 km across, you will probably have to scale the data somehow before import to NX.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Builder
Builder
So the only file type that I didn't see covered was dae (Collada). Was wondering if had any experience with it and how I could go about converting it to a NX-acceptable format.

@Voctave wrote:
So the only file type that I didn't see covered was dae (Collada). Was wondering if had any experience with it and how I could go about converting it to a NX-acceptable format.

NX is a CAD software, so mostly CAD formats are relevant.

Since Collada is more a visualization format, it is not primary priority to support it in NX.

If you can extract faceted bodies from it, NX will be happy to load the STL format, see http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/ as an example. Search the web for "dae to stl converter" for other possibilities.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide