Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice for NX in Citrix XenDesktop

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

We are running NX10 / 11 on Citrix XenDesktop 7.6 with Nvidia Grid K2 - Win 7 with K240Q profiles.

It is in general running fine, but I want to verify if there is fine tuning that can be done in order to improve performance even more.

One thing that I have noticed is that often core 1 is working 90-100% while core 2-4 are almost 0% 
If i do an identical activity on a physical workstation all cores are at work simultaneously. Is there something in the setup that needs to be done to optimize cpu use in a virtual desktop?

4 REPLIES

Re: Best practice for NX in Citrix XenDesktop

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

apart your problem, I'm interessed to have your opinion, configuration, number of NX seats used, cost and what developped on the NX virtualization.

This idea of work seam to be the future in the techincal office.

Regards.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello cubalibre00

30 Engineers in 3 different countries working on virtual desktops and a central Teamcenter database. 

Hardware (total 3 servers, max 15 users on each depending on number of cores)

Dell 7910 with 2 Nvidia Grid K2 cards and 2 Intel Xeon E5-2687W v3 (10core) with 384GB ram and 2048GB SSD drives

We have prioritised processor frequency instead of number of cores. Not sure what is optimal here actually as you cannot get both (the fastest processors have less cores) 

Software

Win7Pro guests with 4 cores and K240Q profile, 16 GB ram and 100GB drive

Teamcenter 10.1.5

NX10.0.3.5  (and NX11 Beta)

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

very interesting. Cost ?

Someone has told me that VMWare with the last release has better performance then Citrix.

Have you compared the two sofware before decide ?

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi, 

Cost approx 200.000 NOK (which would be approx 24.000 USD) for each server. 

We have locations in Norway, Poland and Croatia. So the qualilty to 'remote locations' was significant for us. The Citrix HDX protocol is supposed to be the best when it comes to that (even for 3G mobile phone connections it works smoothly). But if your plan is to use it on a local network then I don't know if there is much difference in performance between vmware and citrix.