Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices for Multibody parts / Top-down Assembly design

Creator
Creator

I'm guessing this scenario happens often, but I could not find any material covering the subject matter.

You're doing some industrial design (Realize shape for example) and the shape of the main body of the product is completed in 1 part file. What would be the best practice to:

1. Split this body into, for example, a top cover and a container
  2. Convert the cover and the container into components and place into an assembly

OR, 

Is there any written material on such design approches with NX.

"Just Testing The Waters"
16 REPLIES

Re: Best practices for Multibody parts / Top-down Assembly design

Legend
Legend

When doing Top Down, you could use Assembly --> Create Component which will create the components from the solids and replace them in your file.

Creator
Creator
@joewhite

Thanks for the comment. How would you go about splitting the main body?

Phenom
Phenom

You can see a simple example in this old movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwUkQfDE2MA&t=405s

It is a simple example, there are other way to proceed depending on the products you want.

Ciao

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

A few ways to do this, depending on your end goal.

For us, many times we will model in the assembly, and then wave 'down' the bodies, into the component files.  This works well, if it is a family of parts, that will always need to be working together..  This way, if things change, all of the pieces update.  Doing this, you  have to remember to remove the bodies in the assembly, from any reference sets, so you are only seeing the actual components.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Legend
Legend

Hmm, I think you would have to copy the main body so you have two then trim each one to suit.

Creator
Creator

@Cesare,
Thanks for the video, however it does not address the subject a such. It's definitely helpful. Thank you.

@DaveK,
So to understand you correctly:
- Model the shape in the top assembly
- Use Wave Geom Linker to select bodies into pre-created empty components

- and NOT choose a body when using Create Component

If yes, then what do you mean by "Doing this, you have to remember to remove the bodies in the assembly, from any reference sets, so you are only seeing the actual components."?

Thanks

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I think you got it.  You can either split the body up in the assembly, and then wave the bodies down, or wave them down, and split in the component.  That again depends on your end goal.

As for the reference set statement, If you add your assembly to a higher level assembly, you could see both the component bodies, and the modeled in assembly bodies.  This again depends on how you use reference sets, and if you even care, ie if the assembly with the modeling is never added to an upper level assembly, this would never be an issue.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Creator
Creator

@DaveK,

Thank you very much. I hope I can pick your brain a little further as to keeping a clean tree.

- When Waving down the split parts (modelled in the assembly), they still remain in the assembly. Hiding those would be fine as long as the assembly is not being put into a higher level assembly. Is this correct? hiding is then done by hiding the features I assume?

Alternatively, a reference set is made to make sure those features OR bodies are hidden wehn the asembly is put into a higher level assembly. Again, is this a correct approach?

Thanks

Legend
Legend

Creating a WAVE Link down is all dependent on how you wish to control any modifications in the Future, do you want to do it from the bodies in that Assembly File or are you wanting to just edit the shape at component level?