Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to get assembly information to NX from other cad programs.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

In my position we work exclusivly with NX. We design injection molds. Currently we have vendors that use other software programs and we dont require them to submit data to us in NX.

My question is what is the best format to get data and keep the assembly structure and component names, Currently we are using STEP but I was curious if anyone had any better ways of keeping this structure and names.

Thanks,

JS

3 REPLIES

Re: Best way to get assembly information to NX from other cad programs.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I am not very happy with the way Nx opens steps. Some complex parts where opened as surfaces instead of Solids because Nx where unable to sew them. I opened to other softs, exported yo parasolid, then opened correcto with Nx. I have tested Nx 12 beta and it opened correctly the original Catia models. I recomend you to avoid data translation if you can. For example solidedge and solidworks can natively write parasolid and so can Nx open it. If you have a license that opens Catia it is also a good method

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Out of the box you can open native Solidworks and Solid Edge files. In addition there is an add-on to open navtive PTC and Catia files as well.

Scott

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank to both of you for the information. We are mainly having issues translating from Cimtron E