Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black edges in "Wireframe with hidden edges"

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi all,

how do I change the color of the edges in the "Wireframe with hidden edges" view to the color black? When I change the color of the object to black under View -> Edit Object Display I get grey edges instead of black ones.

I want to have black edges because they are more visible on screenshots when the background is white.

CC-

7 REPLIES

Re: Black edges in "Wireframe with hidden edges"

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"Wireframe with dim edges" will automatically dim the hidden edges to a gray color. If you want all the edges to be black (the body color), pick "static wireframe".

Pioneer
Pioneer

Still seems gray to me but maybe the lines are just too thin? But changing the line width under Visualization Preferences doesn't seem to change anything at all. Any other hints on how to make edges more visible when I export them to jpeg/png?

EDIT: added a zoomed in view of one of the edges.

edge.png

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

When you changed the body color, did you turn on the "apply to all faces" option? If not, you should.

Pioneer
Pioneer

No, I did not. Have done it now, but I haven't noticed anything different.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

For the Wireframe with Hidden Edges mode, edges are hardcoded to be based on body color, you'll notice the option in Visualization preferences to change the edge color is disabled for this rendering mode.

Why not just use Shaded with edges?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Yes, I have noticed that the colors are based on the body color. That is why I am wondering why the edge color is rather gray than black although the body's color is black.

Using shaded with edges is an option, yes. But sometimes I just find wireview less busy and, thus, better to look at.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

In that case, they should be black but since they are pretty thin by default might appear grayish depending on your display. 

Turning body color to black probably makes shaded rendering modes pretty difficult to deal with.

One compromise you might try: you could just setup a hidden line display in drafting and capture that.