Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block Command - Set default to use WCS

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have been a user of UG/NX since 1997, with some intermittent breaks throughout the years.  I remember, at least I think correctly, that it used to be that the block command would only use where you have placed your WCS.  Due to the way I use NX, which is for modelling Ergonomic assist device tooling, I 99.9% of the time have my WCS at the origin and orientation of which I want the block, and have to select the origin point, switch the drop down from "absolute" to "wcs" hit the refresh button at the top to get the coordinates to 0,0,0, then I can place my block.  Is there a way to make it like the old way, where it will defulat to 0,0,0 of my current WCS?  Sometimes this happens, where it already selected my wcs 0,0,0, but it is rare, and I think only when I started a new file, and perhaps the wcs is already at absolute, not quite sure.  

8 REPLIES

Re: Block Command - Set default to use WCS

Phenom
Phenom
@R2D2,

Mine works as it should - saves the last setting to dialog memory. I have seen other dialogs similarly "misbehave" in the past - about the only way I could fix it was delete the dialog memory file from my user directory and start all over with the "do not show this again" selections.
-Tim

Experimenter
Experimenter

Based off Tim's response below, I think I need to add more detail description to this.  I will attach some pictures as well to help illustrate my point.  

Scenario A, is when I start a new part fresh, and the first thing I do is hit my block command.  When the dialog comes up, the "Specify Point" section is already green check mark, with the origin point already selected.  All I have to do is type in the size I want, and say OK, and boom, block appears.  This scenario is very rare, as I take advantage of the fact that with NX I can model solids in my assembly, and create components later.  The nature of my work makes this the most efficient way.  

Scenario B, is the situation I encounter pretty much everytime I actually want to creat a block.  I may be antiquated in the way I use NX, but I use my WCS RELIGIOUSLY, whether for measuring distances, you name it.  So, I always place my WCS where I want the origin of my block to be in my assembly.  It used to be that everytime you used the block command, you didn't have a choice to select an origin.  It was just going to put the block wherever your WCS is at, which, behaved the same way as first scenario above.  Instead, and this has been this way for quite some time, at least since NX7 I believe, I have to do it this way:

- Press block command

- Specify point, which for me is selection the point constructor, changing "Reference" from Absolute-Work Part to WCS, hitting the refresh at top right of dialog box, then saying ok to bring me back to block, and saying ok again to finally place the block

I was hoping someone knew of a way to make the block command act like Scenario A all the time.  If it could automatically select my WCS 0,0,0 as the point location, that would be awesome.  Also, am I really that old that nobody remembers when Block used to work like this?  Jeez, it might have been in UG days... can't remember.  

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

"Also, am I really that old that nobody remembers when Block used to work like this?  Jeez, it might have been in UG days... can't remember."

I remember those days. That was before the block command became associative and editable. Created a block and now you want to change the size? Tough luck, kid; make a new one or use offset face.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't think the WCS option is recorded by dialog memory. I was considering opening an IR/ER on the subject, but I don't think I ever got around to it.

Edit: Here is a similar discussion from 2013:

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=354648

If it was made into an ER, looks like it will need lots more votes to get the developer's attention.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Oh thanks for the reference post!

Edited - Removed rant about John Baker

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @R2D2,

First off, if you haven't already done so, please read the forum Siemens PLM Community: Rules of Participation - specifically rules 1 and 6 - and then consider editing your post (before a mod does).  Thank you.

Here's a movie showing the difference in behavior (V16 vs NX11):

(view in My Videos)

The behavior you're looking for has already been requested and documented in ER 2187117: "Want the initial value of the Point Dialog as WCS".

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Ben,

I have edited my post.  For the video you mentioned, when I click the link it does not appear to show anything.  See screenshot of what I see when I go there.  

Also, I am new to IR and ER, I would guess ER is for enhancement request?  And what is IR?  Also, where do I go to view these existing ER's or submit new ones?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hmm... not sure why you don't see it.  I've attached it to this post.

When you contact GTAC they open an Incident Report (IR).  If the issue needs to be reported to development the IR is converted to a Problem Report (PR), or if it's deemed an enhancement the IR is converted to an Enhancement Request (ER).  While you can view previously reported PRs, you cannot view the ERs.  To submit an ER, either contact your local GTAC office, or submit an IR online.

Regards, Ben

Phenom
Phenom
Those were good times, UG had much less features but we were so much younger.... :-)