Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Body Sketch Intersect and Other Sketch Questions

Hi!

Some sketch questions.. I couldn't find these in the search but I'm sure they must have been asked. Here goes..

1.  When I create a sketch in a plane that intersects a body, is there a button I can hit to get the section cut-away view of the body at that plane? I know I can go to View tab -> Visibility group -> Clip Section and create the clipped view but this is a few steps. Catia has a single button and I thought NX might too.

2. Q1 was for the view. How about if I want an intersection curve for a whole body? I know I can get an intersection curve for a face or plane from the Intersection Curve command in the Derived Curve group of the Curve tab but what if I want this for a whole body? It can be a drag to manually select all the faces.

3. I would like to draw a line on a sketch offset from the origin but in line with the sketch horizontal axis. I can't seem to get it to give me a Help Line that would snap this. Did I turn this off by accident? How do I get it back or activate that?

4. Ok, this might be a dumb question. If I'm editing a sketch in the modeling application, is there a shortcut to jump to editing the same sketch in the sketch application? I know can right click and Edit with Rollback, or even change the settings so when I double click on a sketch it fires up the sketch app, but ideally I want to go from the Create Sketch dialog to the sketch app quickly without changing settings (because sometime I model on other people's PCs).

Thanks!

7 REPLIES

Re: Body Sketch Intersect and Other Sketch Questions

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

I am attaching a movie herewith (shot in a jiffy so apologies for the quality).

Hope it helps you a bit.

Best Regards

Kapil

Siemens Phenom

2-18-2016 4-02-30 PM.jpg

Thanks, K

So I guess

Q1 - There's no single button, but the clip section isn't too much of a drag

Q2 - Oh, an option on the selection filter, I always forget about that thing, thanks

Q3 - Do you know about this? I have a attached a image to try and show what I mean with a fake help line I drew in paint

Q4 - Yeah, that's what I was thinking of, I'll just change the preferences first when I'm on other people's workstations

Siemens Phenom

Hi,

I am assuming you are asking for an infinite construction line inside sketcher. I am not sure if we have any (so over to Experts on this) but you can try UNBOUNDED LINE outside sketcher and then use it for reference inside sketch.

2.jpg

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

I don't think you really need a physical line to reference, I created a simple example below:

In this case the edge of my solid is the horizontal reference, as soon as I go close to being horizontal the line snaps and I get the orange helper line (you can then lock the line axis)

I was looking to see if I could see where the "snap angle" was set

Anyway hope that helps

2016-02-19_09-14-08.jpg

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Q4/ A4 :

There is an "Open in Sketch task environment" under the "more" button.

See image.

Regards,

Tomas

That's what I was looking for! Thanks Tomas

And yeah, for the helper line, it picks up on the existing geometry but I would like it to pick up on the sketch horizonatal axis before there is any other geometry around. I noticed I can just hit tab and enter '0' in the YC field of the little box that follows the cursor around for the position of the first node. So that can work.

Thanks!