cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolt Circle Centerline through 2-points (180° apart)?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I have 2 holes that lie on a common bolt circle. The holes are 180° apart on the circle. Is there a way to create a bolt-circle centerline through these two points?

The options that I see are:

Through 3 or More Points (but we only have 2 points...)

Center Point

I can create a point, between the two hole centers, and then use the "Center Point" option - but the created point doesn't appear to be associatively linked to the two holes.

What is best-practice for creating a bolt-circle-ceterline through 2 holes that are located 180° apart on a common circle?

Thanks,

Steve

4 REPLIES

Re: Bolt Circle Centerline through 2-points (180° apart)?

Genius
Genius

I would use 1 Center Mark with 2 center points. The linear distance between hole centers is the same as a theoretical diameter between them.

2 hole centerlines.PNG

-Tim

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks. I realize that I can dimension the (2) holes as you've shown. I was looking to dimension them as shown below. I used a sketch to do this - but was looking for a method that uses the drafting-application's Bolt Circle Centerline functionality.LoadMe.jpg

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Create a sketch in the view and insert some helper geometry in the sketch to drive the bolt circle centerline and then hide the sketch.

(view in My Videos)

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Ben. I ended up basically doing what you showed in your video. That works fine for the desired result. I was thinking that a 2-hole bolt-circle was a common enough occurence that NX might have a built-in method for handling this. The logic could be;  if only 2 hole centers are picked - then use the midpoint between them as the center of the bolt-circle (possibly including a check-box for 2-hole situation) - or allow access to the point-dialog when in the command - so that the "between two points" option could be used to locate the bolt-circle center point.

I appreciate you including the video - that validates the method that I had used to get the desired result!

Steve