Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing in a file as reference into NX

Experimenter
Experimenter

We are trying to see is we can switch from Solid Edge to NX. I am new to NX CAD but I have 20 years’ experience on Solid Edge and EMS before that. I am looking for someone familiar with Solid Edge and NX. I am trying to bring in a file as reference into NX part. In Solid Edge it is called "insert part copy". It brings a file in as a reference file linked to an another file. There is an option to bring it in "copy as design body" or "copy as construction body".

As a "design body" it comes in as a solid model. You can then add or subtract features as you wish.

As a "construction body" you see a wire frame of the model you are linked to. You can start building a model using the linked geometry to constrain your sketches to.

As a "construction body" you can also create a solid then do a boolean remove operation with the construction body to remove any areas where the reference model intersects the model you made in part. I see that command in NX. (A lot of command algorithms are used in both Solid Edge and NX.)

I need to be able to swap the reference model when I am done. I use revision manager to do this in Solid Edge. I don't see that NX has this rev manager software. Am I missing it?

Thanks,

Jeff

5 REPLIES

Re: Bringing in a file as reference into NX

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Jeff_In_Atl,

You can select the component in the assembly navigator > RMB > Replace Component.

Experimenter
Experimenter

All right! That was a close enough hint I think. I was able to bring the part in using the assembly/add command. I was able to bring it in anywhere.

The replace command should be able to swap the file out.

Experimenter
Experimenter

OK I added my reference file and I can see it in my part file. I constructed a solid but it won't let me dimension the sketch to the geometry in the reference file and it won't let me do a boolean subtract on the reference file.

Do I need to change a parameter of the reference file to make it something I can use? It doesn't show up in the "part navigator". It shows up in the assembly navigator. When I tried to boolean subtract the reference model I tried picking it from the screen and the assembly navigator and it won't let me pick it.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Jeff_In_Atl,

You need to use 'WAVE Geomtery Linker' command . Once you create a linked body, it can be used/selected for the boolean operations.

Experimenter
Experimenter

OK that worked. I can constrain to it and I can pick it to subtract out the boolean but the model it created isn't correct. It looks like it did both a union and a subtract. I know now it is where you need to see it. And now after the subtract when I turn off the datum coordinates I get an error on the extrude. I turn it back on and the error goes away. Arg. So close.

BTW I really appreciate your help.