Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Link Promoted Body

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Does anyone know if it's possible to reestablish a broken link for a Promote Body at the assembly level? The body that created the Promote Body still exists but it appears the link was broken when the Arrangement that was active during the creation of the Promoted Body was deleted which caused the links to break.

When I try to redefine the Promoted Body the only option I get is to convert it to a linked body which then I can edit and redefine to the original referenced body, but now it's no longer a Promoted Body and I can't seem to find a way to convert it back into one.

5 REPLIES

Re: Broken Link Promoted Body

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"Does anyone know if it's possible to reestablish a broken link for a Promote Body at the assembly level?"

Not that I know of. This is the major downside to using promoted bodies. Here's a quote from the NX help (emphasis mine):

The use of promotions, however, should be limited to these special cases as promoted bodies cannot be re-parented nor relinked. Promotions are also not visible unless their base part is loaded and visible as well. They can, however, be converted to WAVE links at any time to avoid these limitations.

source:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uid:best_practices_bp_linked_promotions

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I submitted an ER a few years ago, asking for the ability to re-associate a promote, but like the rest of my ER's, it hasn't gone anywhere.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

That's unfortunate and not surprising. Siemens typical mode of operation.
Thank you for the info. I'll probably submit a GTAC report also just to be annoying. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I wonder why the underlining programming is built that way given a wave link can be redefined.

I love using Promoted bodies for various reasons especially since it allows so much to be done to the component in the assembly and controlling the visibility automatically.

It's pretty sad that redefining is the limitation when that exists for just about every other feature.

I guess Deformable parts also falls into that catagory as well.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I submitted the GTAC and they were very fast to respond...
I especially like the statement I put in bold. :-)

I wonder how many similar ER's are required before Siemens takes the ER seriously.

"Unfortunately, there is no way to redefine a broken Promoted body. You would have to create a new Promotion, then re-associate any child features from the older/broken Promotion to the new one, then delete the older/broken Promotion.

There have been several Enhancement Requests (ER) requesting this ability. I will associate your IR to the existing ER so you are notified when this is fulfilled. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns on this."