Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken view problems NX8.5

Hello,

In NX6 (yeah we just moved from it this year...) I can create a broken view and copy and paste that view around the sheet and the pasted view will be identical (shows a detail view).

In NX8.5 when we paste the view it is no longer broken like it's detail parent.  (Create independent detail view is unchecked in customer defaults) 

Also where can I define the anchor point of a detail view in NX8.5?  I can go to boundary before it is broken and define an anchor point, but once the view is broken this seems to revert.  Problem here is scaling the view goes off the sheet. 

Thank you,

Ryan

NX6.0.5.3 / TC8.3.0

NX8.5.3.3 MP8 / TC8.3.3.11

6 REPLIES

Re: Broken view problems NX8.5

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I have no problem performing a 'Copy & Paste' operation of a Broken View using NX 8.5.

Could you please provide at least a picture of what you say you can do in NX 6.0 but which you can't in NX 8.5?

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Hello John,

First, congratulations on retirement! I'll miss you giving the 'What's new in NX' presentation at the Indiana RUG future events...

I'll attach NX files, normally seperate file for drawings but in this case common file seemed better.

Surely it is a setting somewhere I am missing, but I can't pinpoint where.  

Thanks,

Ryan

Siemens Phenom

What's happening here is that in NX 6.0 the so-called 'Broken View' function was really a specialized version of the view 'Boundary' function.  In essence, the resulting 'Broken' view is simply the original view where its boundary has been modified to show only a portion of the original view.  That's why if you created a classic 'Broken' view, where a portion of the view is removed, that you end up with TWO different views, which in reality are two copies of the original view, each with its boundaries modified.

However, starting in NX 8.0 we added a true 'Broken' view function where we always get a single new view replacing the original view.  In other words, we are getting views where NX has simply created new boundaries.  So in reality, 'Broken' views are totally different in NX 8.5 versus NX 6.0.  Now while it might have been nice if the 'Copy & Paste' behavior was the same, you have to understand that we're not dealing with the same type of view so there was never any attempt to replicate this particular behavior.

Now getting back to what NX really was expecting the user to do.  To start with, even back in NX 6.0, if this is what you were looking for, using a 'Broken' view was not the approach that you should have used.  You should have simply edited the boundary of the original 'Section View'.  If you had done that in BOTH NX 6.0 and NX 8.5, your results would be exactly the same.

Now if you wish, you can contact GTAC and have them open an IR/PR against the NX 8.5 'Broken' view function suggesting that a user should be able to 'Copy & Paste' a one-sided 'Broken' view similar to what you can do with a normal 'Broken' view (this was the basis of my original comment that I had no problem performing a 'Copy & Paste' of a 'Broken' view.

My final comment if that you should really try using Boundary editing approach first and see if that will work for you.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Hi John,

Thank you for the explaination.  Agreed, the creation of the broken views is very different between the versions, and I appricate the continued effort to develop the tool. I don't want to disrupt or discourage change, I'm only trying to find the easiest route in the new version.

Many of the NX users in my company use the boundary to get this type of view, but some want the spline created by a broken view.  Is there a way to get this easily with changing the boundary?

Also, in NX8.5 broken views, how can i set up an anchor point so I scale the view?  We often have cross sections that are .300 inches and diameters of 10-20 feet.  This makes scaling a broken view difficult without a proper anchor point on the cross section.

Thanks,

Ryan

Siemens Phenom

The best approach would be sketch in the view the profile for the intended boundary which could include a simple sine-wave-like spline across the object.

As for the 'Anchor Point' issue, are you talking about Section Views or Broken Views?  With Broken View the location of the 'break' is automatically the anchor point, which can be offset from some 'hard point' on the model.  For a Section View, I'm not sure what you mean by an anchor point.  Could you provide at least a picture of what it is that you're trying to do with Section Views?

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Hello John,

I was unable to sketch the intended boundary. Could you attach a file or describe these steps a bit more for me?  I can sketch in a view, but I'm missing how to get the view boundary to use these lines.  Also, I'm unsure if only the spline will be visible when printed without hiding the others.

In the attached file, I was able to get a good view without too many clicks by changing boundary manually, defining anchor point, scaling, and then breaking.  This is the best method I've done yet but your method could very well be better when I can replicated it.

Is it intended behavoir to dis-allow a detail view to be broken?  I don't see a way to re-apply the break with a copy/paste or detail view created from the 1st broken view.

Also, on the broken view anchor point.  the distance used in the offset seems to be screen distance.  Is there a way to scale an already broken view like Section A-A in the attached file? As the anchor point seems to be screen distance it seems subject to the scaling and the view moves off of the sheet.

Thank you for your continued efforts to help. It has pushed my thinking to find alternate paths.

Ryan