cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug or a feature: can't save deleted file.

Experimenter
Experimenter

A file is deleted, while it was open in NX9, native.

save doesn't work

save as doesn't work

Eport to another part works only with removing all paramters.

Any suggestions are higly appreciated.

I saw this issue going back about 10 years to NX5.

P.S. I don't see any justification for such feature.

4 REPLIES

Re: Bug or a feature: can't save deleted file.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you are asking about this happening:

- you open a part

- in the operating system, you delete the part

- now you try to save your part (already open in the NX session), and you can't

The issue is that NX does NOT fully read the part & load it into memory.  So when you "Save" the part, NX *HAS* to have the part (on disk) to open to get ALL the data it needs to save it as a new file.

If you delete the part, then NX can't get the info it needs.

So, object lesson: Don't play with files in the OS while your NX session has parts open.  (Granted, in a multi-user environment, this may be hard to enforce)

(I'm not sure how MS does it for Office documents, but it would be nice if NX could do an equivalent thing:

Untitled.png

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

I would agree, but

I can still export whole geometry (alas with removing all parameters). I still can go back in the model tree and edit features. What could be left unloaded?

Yes, the deleted part is 300MB, there is no issue with a dummy 300KB part. Yet either is nothing for 16GB RAM...

Locking files is another good point.

P.S.Would be nice to hear an oppinion from the owner of the 10-year-old "feature"

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

"P.S.Would be nice to hear an oppinion from the owner of the 10-year-old "feature""

In that case, I'd suggest contacting GTAC directly. Siemens' employees frequent the forums, but to get a direct answer about something that is mission critical to you; contacting GTAC directly is the best route to take.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What about the person who has a 30,000 component assembly? (yes, they exist, and I've heard of larger ones too).

Do you really expect NX to fully load ALL data for ALL parts, just so someone can delete one of them on a drive & user can re-save it?

I'm not saying I really like this "feechure" but it is something (if you work native mode) you have to understand & live with.

Like cowski1 says...If this really bugs you, log an IR with GTAC and maybe Siemens development can explain it better than I can... 

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled