Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bugs and problems in NX 11 modeling

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

We changed to NX 11 few weeks ago.  It took a lot of customizing to get things usable again. Almost everything default had to be customized, but thanks to options many things can be optimized. More clicking, more creator loved info dialogs. They all have to go if you ask me. Warnings of a things you cant't do nothing about are simply waste of time. Eg. missing material, before it was read only part modified. Also would be nice not see any module toolbars which we are not licenced to like ship building / automotive.

I see some bugs that keep on driving down productivity on solid modelling. 

Mouse right click options don't appear correctly available until many more clicks.  Appearing selection is not modelling/sheet metal functions related, more like viewing general. This happens all the time. 

The way solid geometry displays on the screen especially round surfaces are not precise or good quality when created with newer version. I see multiple edges on the round surfaces, fillet rounds looking like chamfers and round holes like polygons. It is funny how everything created with 8.5 still looks fine on the side.

Second problem much more severe. We design complex sheet metal parts which require easily 20-50 lines on part navigator. Those features are holes, cutouts, flanges etc. I have learned that the way features create internal constraints through datums disable possibility to remove downstream features retaining the model references of previous features.

I give you an example. When adding some cutout on the solid the next sketch based feature NX wants reference for the datum at the nearest geometry point. Many times we have to delete some of these previous features, that leads to missing reference and many errors.

I think sketch referencing makes changes to downstream features modelling integrity fail at default. I have to ask, was the original purpose of the feature based 3D modelling to lock every historical feature to previous for retaining the model integrity? When adding a hole, do I have think first to find a point that is not likely to be removed later to reference ?

That would be a very backward solution to obvious problem we have in current NX.

9 REPLIES

Re: Bugs and problems in NX 11 modeling

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Exactly what version have you installed?
Regarding the non smooth display. Are you using the out of the box start part when creating a new part or a customized file?
What display setting did you customized?
Steve V

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

@webs1

For your first problem, I think it's related to some visulaization settings. Go to Visual Tab in Visualization preferences, turn on Anti-Aliasing options & Smooth Edges. Also, use the 'update display' functionality in Operation group inside View Tab. You should add this to one of the toolbars as it comes in handy ( I use it every minute Man Happy ).

As for the second problem, I doubt it's a problem really. NX works on History-Based modelling. Every feature you create is linked or associated to some previous one in most of the cases, and this helps the designers to make necessary changes while maintaining the design intent & the constraints. There are multiple features in NX where you can turn off the accociativity but that will become troublesome should you need to make any changes in the later stages of the design.

Synchronous Technology, also, helps to make the changes fair bit easier & works like, kind of, Direct Modelling.

Paras Raina
Sr. Application Engineer | Solid Edge ST10 | NX 11
MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)

Legend
Legend

There's a document in the KB called nx-understanding-tessellations-in-the-graphics-display.docx that explains it in detail.

LINK to file

This change occurred in NX9, so anything prior looks fine.

You might have to go into your seed parts or templates and change your visualization properties.

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.1 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:nothing.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Experimenter
Experimenter

@StevenVickers wrote:
Exactly what version have you installed?
Regarding the non smooth display. Are you using the out of the box start part when creating a new part or a customized file?
What display setting did you customized?

Version is 11.0.2.

Mostly bad edges happen doing modeling inside assembly. I don't recall, was I using save as part or fresh new part. It looks bit different modeling with displayed part only.

I tried edge emphasis/antializing, but that didn't help much.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Have you tried changing the Facet Settings. When NX 11 was loaded the Refinement Factor was defaulted to 1.0 and incresing that value helped. Currently a value of 10.0 seems to work well but for some assemblies it is set to 100.

Experimenter
Experimenter
You're kind of right, it is not a problem for anybody exept for the end user who has to do the actual modeling on NX sheet metal.
The way current feature based modeling referencing/constraints is unnecessary heavy, slow and make almost any removal a feature fail later ones, starting from tiniest chamfers or holes. So solution for the later changes is more like put tabs over cut outs rather than removing any of them etc..

Today I had earlier ealier version created 5 edge chained contour flange failing just by adding a pattern of features to the far edge of tab. Also unable create it fresh again without any apparent reason. Just after selecting 2nd edge error pops up. The chain consist of straight edges angled together.

We don't use direct modeling normally for number of reasons. There are many whole lot cheaper and more light weight programs than NX to do that kind of modeling.

Experimenter
Experimenter

@Mark-J wrote:

Have you tried changing the Facet Settings. When NX 11 was loaded the Refinement Factor was defaulted to 1.0 and incresing that value helped. Currently a value of 10.0 seems to work well but for some assemblies it is set to 100.

I will check this tomorrow. I think this is somehow assembly related issue.

Thanks for the tip!

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I would report issues to GTAC, perhaps they can suggest better ways to do this (or at least tell you what's going on)

If you want, you could post parts here, but then anyone can see your parts.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Can you illustrate the issues that you are seeing ?
I do not recognize these issues .
The customization you mention, - you must have had quite a lot of customization in NX8.5 ?
These should all be re-usable with some help from new "intermediate" files.

The problem with toolbars and buttons appearing that we do not have licenses for,
This is a "double edged sword", - If the button is visible but "grey", it should be hidden,
but, if you know that there is a feature / function but you cannot find the button, due to, maybe a missing license, then how do we know?
also, how should "NX show " that it has more functions than what is included in your existing licenses ?
The intention behind the NX roles is to provide a quick method of hiding/showing buttons and toolbars , Now since a few releases back you can define a default role for your users, if you have a common setup.

Regards,
Tomas