Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not make work part on assembly - units problem

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

I try to make work part from subassembly but I can not. The error apperars. I checked units and are the same.

Are you able to help me?

error_units.png

6 REPLIES

Re: Can not make work part on assembly - units problem

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The component you are trying to make work part must have different unit than the root assembly part, thats why NX is showing the information. Check it once again by configuring the 'Units' column in ASN.

unit.PNG

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor
hey, thanks for info. I know that is possibilty to convert inch file to mm. I need ug_convert_part file but I dont hve it in NX11. I mean this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaAN8ft0iCE

how can I download it? Do you know which MP should I install?

best regards

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You already have it. In NX 11, many of the utilities got moved to the "NXBIN" folder (they are no longer found in the UGII folder).

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Note that you can do "make displayed part" and continue working.

There is no MUST convert in this, mixed unit assemblies is reality for many users and there is nothing wrong with that. the ONLY thing you cannot do is "make work part" when the part and the assembly have different units.

Regards

Tomas

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
There is one other solution if you want to work in context without using the convert_part utility..

Say you have an inch assembly and one component is millimeter, clearly you can't make that component the work part in the context of the inch assembly. However, if you make a new parent at a level higher than your displayed assembly, using the unit that is raising the warning (in this case millimeter), you can make the new top assembly the displayed part and then make the component the work part. Once you're done working on the component, delete the temporary top level assembly.

Regards, Ben

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"lukipap" -

see this GTAC article:

https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?si=001-7958773

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled