Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant find my newly created template when switching to drafting mode in NX12

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi there,

Looking for some help, as the title suggests i have just created some new templates. I can access them perfectly through -> file-> New. however when switching to drafting mode from Modeling i cant access these new templates.

Have I missed a fundimental step? can anybody help please?

11 REPLIES

Re: Cant find my newly created template when switching to drafting mode in NX12

Phenom
Phenom
@BRogerson,

I believe you can have a modeling template OR a drafting template - you may have to specify one or the other during the process.
-Tim

Experimenter
Experimenter

thanks @TimF

However i dont really understand what you mean. I have already modeled a part and would like to just switch from Modeling to Drafting and use my new drafting template, if i select file -> and drafting it creates a whole new file which is not what i want.

Phenom
Phenom

@BRogerson,

I am sorry and please don't take this the wrong way, but I get the feeling you're not completely understanding how template files work in NX - they are starting points for when you use File -> New and not when you switch between applications.  I would strongly encourage you to read the NX Help Documents before you dive much further into this.

I believe templates are intended to be used with the Master Model concept, which means two separate NX files and you'd need add the model as a component to the drawing which was created from a template via File -> New. With that being said, most templates which I've seen follow that concept so there would be one template for the model, then you start a new file from a drawing template, add the model to the drawing file as a component and proceed with the drafting side of things.

They're application dependent from what I've seen out of it.

Now, with all of that being said, you can do something similar, typically called a Start Part.  You put everything in that file, save it to a location and just use File -> Open and make sure you never save over the Start Part.  You would do a Save As to rename the Start Part.  Doing this, you could effectively do what you're attempting to do with a model and drawing in the same part file, but if you're working with assemblies, I'd strongly recommend going the Master Model route - seems confusing but it has its advantages when it comes to swapping out models and getting the drawing to update in a more efficient manner.

-Tim

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks tim

There is the option to do the drawing within the same file using standard templates, So it would seem odd if there were no way of adding a custom template. looking for help with this methodology anyone?

Phenom
Phenom

@BRogerson,

See my edited post above.

You should have started with the template from the beginning, it seems. You could try to do a File -> New, select your template then either use import part and import your model into the template or export from the model file into the template. Make sure you delete any imported drawing sheets or not select them if doing export part if that matters to you.

-Tim

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Running NX native?  (no Teamcenter)

Did you edit the ugs_sheet_templates.pax file, to include your new template(s)?

With drawing and model in the same file, to create teh drawing you go application drafting, and you should get prompted to create a sheet.  By selecting "Use Template", you will get the options from the above pax file.

Does this help?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi @DaveK thanks i think this could be it!

yes NX is native

When creating the templates I went through the excersise of creating the .pax file for each which is why i guess its shown in the file-> new. but i havent modified the ugs_sheet_templates.pax, should i modify this in notepad manually?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Yes, you only need one .pax, for any number of drawing formats.

Each format will have a section like this:

<PaletteEntry id="d1">
    <References/>
    <Presentation name="A - Size" description="NX Example Sheet">
        <PreviewImage type="UGPart" location="drawing_template.jpg"/>
    </Presentation>
    <ObjectData class="SheetTemplate">
        <TemplateFileType>none</TemplateFileType>
        <Filename>Drawing-A-Size2D-template.prt</Filename>
        <Units>English</Units>

</ObjectData>
  </PaletteEntry>

Change the filename, and the image name, if you have them.  We use Teamcenter, so I don't have good examples of how ours are.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

For native mode, there are 2 files for drafting.

Note this is for NX10, I think they may have changed (location,if nothing else) for NX12

(in NX 10 they are in %UGII_BASE_DIR%\UGII\templates)

1) ugs_drawing_templates.pax - this is for creating new drawing FILES (i.e. file -> New)
IIRC the setting "<UsesMasterModel>Yes</UsesMasterModel>" forces you to select the component for the drawing

You'll have to check the docs or ? to see exact behavior for this setting

2) ugs_sheet_templates.pax - this is for creating new drafting sheets in an existing part.  Could be for non-master model drawing (i.e. drawing in the model part file) or adding more sheets to an existing master model drawing.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled