Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Change arrangement of drafting view

NX9

I have an assembly with multiple arrangements. I have created a drawing of this assembly using the master model approach (Teamcenter intergration). I have placed a base view that shows one of the arrangements. Instead of creating another base view for a different arrangement I would prefer to copy the extisting view multiple times and then change the arrangement that each new view references. How do I change the arrangement a drafting view references after it has been created?

Regards,

Clayton

Regards,

Clayton McPherson
TC 10.1, NX 9.0.3.4 MP7
14 REPLIES

Re: Change arrangement of drafting view

That's not supported.  You can only change the Arrangement for the Assembly that the drawing was originally created of.  The Arrangments used in any additional added views needs to be defined at the time that the view(s) are being added.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

This has reminded me of a way you could show two different views on a drawing of the same part but each view is of a different reference set. I tried the same method with arrangements and was able to have more than one view of an assembly that the arrangement can be independently changed on both views. See attached NX7.5 was used.

Now I realise these methods are not supported and in fact in NX9 I can no longer do this as the replace component command has been removed from the right click command for reference drafting views. In saying that the code is there and it does work so could these methods be supported in the future? Has there been other users request this functionality and if so when or will this functionality be coming in the future?

Regards,

Clayton McPherson
TC 10.1, NX 9.0.3.4 MP7

I would like to see this as an ER (enhancement request). This feature has been missing for years. Is there an ER for this out there? If not I will be more than happy to put one in. I wish I could say even in the OLD I-Deas world we pushed for this option also.

[ Edited ]

Why do you add a view from a component that you do not want, then use the replace component command? Why not add the view from the desired component the first time? If you do this, it will work in NX 9 as it did in NX 7.5.

Bear in mind that when you place the view, if you want the view to update when you change the arrangement, you must select the original, system-generated default arrangement to be used in the view. If you select one of the arrangements that you created, it will be locked down in the drawing view and will not change when you specify a different arrangement. This is a bit of a quirk with the system-generated arrangement in drawing views (when you specify the initial arrangement for the drawing view, the drawing view will update to the currently used arrangement); it has always worked this way (though I don't think it is intentional by the developers - an "undocumented feature", perhaps).

edit for clarity

As far as I know there was a Workaround for this until NX5(?):
you could place a new view with the new Arrangement and then let the old view "inherit" from the new view. Then the Arrangement was inherited and after some re association of Dimension it would work...
But this bug was solved :-) and is not working anymore. I would like that my PRs would be solved also but they still take time...

I've just stumbled across this in NX9 and is similar if not the same as what josch mentions. It turns our you can change the arrangement of a secondary view after it has been created. The catch is you need to have another view already placed that is of the arrangement you want to change to.

So for the view you want to change right click the border and select settings. Expand Inherit and in the pull down list choose "Selected Object". Select a view that has the arrangeemnt you want and select ok. Your view will now update with the same settings as the view selected including the arrangment but not including the orientation.

Note this can be done for multiple views as well if the views are all selected first and then right click to go to settings etc.

Regards,

Clayton McPherson
TC 10.1, NX 9.0.3.4 MP7

The work around I have used is only good if you use the master model concept. Create 2 copies or instances of the master model under your drawing file. Change the arrangements so that each master model file shows a different arrangement. Move the second copy of the master model file to another layer like layer 100. Create all the views you want on your drawing to show arrangement #1 with views that show layer 1 only. To show arangement #2 create a new view with Layer Visable in View so that it shows only layer 100. That view and that view only will show arrangement #2.

Your structure would something like this:

Drawing-fileXXXX

master-model-fileXXXX - set to arrangement #1 - on Layer 1

master-model-fileXXXX - set to arrangement #2 - on Layer 100

I hope this helps.

Doug

The good news is that once we get to NX 11 you be able to pick the arrangement that you want as you place the views. You will be able to show the same view with differenet arrangments or change the arrangement after the view is places.

Hi Doug,

I really like your workaround and it work really well so far.

However I came up with a problem when using parts list.
When parts list settings are set to "master model" the software adds components as many times you add an assembly on a different arrangment.
The only workaround I found to this day is to manually select components when editing levels and turn off the master model button.

How do you deal with that glitch?

Thanks

Fred T.
NX 8.5 (Teamcenter)

Fred Tremblay
MDA Corporation