Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change diameter dimension line?

Builder
Builder

When I dimension a circle, it will put the dimension line across the diameter with arrow heads at each end to show the diameter.  How do I change that to the other format, where the dimension line comes in radially from outside the circle and touched the OD? Seems like it should be a simple thing, but I can't figure it out. Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Change diameter dimension line?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If I undestand, you want the arrows on the outside of the circle pointing toward the center? If so, go into the dimension settings and in line/arrow -> arrowhead -> dimension side 1 change the orientation from "in" to "out". You might also need to turn off the "automatic orientation" option in the line/arrow -> arrowhead -> workflow setting.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The two dimensions with pairs of arrows, are both done with the Rapid Dimension dialog, and Diametral option.  (one with arrows in, and one with arrows out).

The one with a single arrow, was done with the Radial Dimension dialog, Diametral option.

DiaDims.JPG

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @pmk3,

See if this helps:

(view in My Videos)

Regards, Ben

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@pmk3,

Video attached for clarity.

Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Nice one @TimF - I didn't even realize the Arrowhead Orientation option was on the pop-up.

Cheers, Ben

Gears Phenom
@BenBroad,

I didn't either, to be perfectly honest. LOL

I'm visually oriented versus waiting to read the popup text helpers and I couldn't remember which of the Settings buttons brought up a truncated version of the Settings - turns out it's the mini dimension dialog (pops up in the graphics window during a pause while rubberbanding or during editing). I never realized until a quick test prior to recording the .avi today that it's a Text Settings button rather than a Dimension Settings one. LOL

Not really sure why that was chosen over just the normal Dimension Settings button like the Dimension Dialog and MB3 popup.....because those buttons include Text Settings in addition to Dimension Settings.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1

Builder
Builder

Thanks for the all the responses. They were helpful. I discovered that with the Rapid Dimension tool set to Inferred, I can get the diameter dimension on the outside of the circle.  With it set to the Diametral it's on the inside.  I can also edit the settings, as TimF showed, to change it (although it's a bit involved).

I also noticed my dialog box looks different from either of the videos. Does NX have different themes? Also, how do you get the pop-up menus? That's something mine wasn't doing either. 

It's a bit eye-opening how involved something this simple has turned out to be.  With both SE and SW this is much easier to do. 

Gears Phenom
@pmk3,

Make sure you're fully expanding your commonly used dialogs BEFORE you finish using the commands. If you have dialog memory turned ON, they will (read as SHOULD) retain their state after you press OK or Apply.

MB3 was what I was pressing to bring up the popup menu where you could pick Settings or Arrow In/Arrow Out. The larger popup appears if you pause before you place/drop a dimension.

Yes, it is more involved than it needs to be, but trust me, it's MUCH better than what it was when "Rapid" dimensions were initially introduced. The MB3 pulldown used to have have more options for dim settings but someone felt that making something "Rapid" meant removing some these for some strange reason. It's probably best left for another thread because those types of discussions can bring about heated discussions and passionate responses (for lack of better words).
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.5.1

Builder
Builder

@TimF wrote:
@pmk3,

Make sure you're fully expanding your commonly used dialogs BEFORE you finish using the commands. If you have dialog memory turned ON, they will (read as SHOULD) retain their state after you press OK or Apply.

MB3 was what I was pressing to bring up the popup menu where you could pick Settings or Arrow In/Arrow Out. The larger popup appears if you pause before you place/drop a dimension.

Thanks for the further help. I tried what you suggested but still not getting the same MB3 pop-up you do. Here is what I get.

MB3_POPUP_2018-07-05_17-13-13.png

The Role I've been using is a more basic one (recommended by the NX book I've been following). So I switched to Adavnced, and although my Ribbon now looks like yours (before it looked a little different) the MB3 menu didn't change.  Are you using a different Role from Advanced?  My setup is mostly the default provided by Siemens.  The only change I've made is replacing Direct Sketch with Sketch in Task Envronment on the ribbon.  So other than some Role difference, I don't know what else it could be. Smiley Frustrated