Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Change the dimensionality of an expression?

Builder
Builder

Is it possible to change the dimensionality of an expression? For example, in the figure below how would you change the expression N from a Length type to Constant?  Thanks.

Expression table, change to constant.png

EDIT: I figured it out.  The reason I couldn't edit the dimensionality was because the expression (N) was being referenced by another part via an Interpart Expression. Once I removed that, I could edit it (as shown below).  Now, if I could only figure these things out before posting! Smiley Happy  But hopefully this will help someone else at some point.

Expression table, change to constant - solution.png

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Change the dimensionality of an expression?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Great job there pmk3!

As long as the expression is not in use you are free to change the type.

TIP - mark your post as Accepted Solution and other will know that there is a solution ;-)

Best Regards

Fred

Builder
Builder

@Sandman wrote:

TIP - mark your post as Accepted Solution and other will know that there is a solution ;-)

Actually I can't. It doesn't give me the option.  Apparently I can only mark an actual reply as an accepted solution. I guess that's one drawback to editing my post rather than replying to it.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

pmk3

So post the solution to your question as a reply and then Accept it as a Solution ;-)

Best Regards

Fred

Builder
Builder

Good idea Fred!

@pmk3 wrote:

Is it possible to change the dimensionality of an expression? For example, in the figure below how would you change the expression N from a Length type to Constant?  Thanks.

Expression table, change to constant.png

EDIT: I figured it out.  The reason I couldn't edit the dimensionality was because the expression (N) was being referenced by another part via an Interpart Expression. Once I removed that, I could edit it (as shown below).  Now, if I could only figure these things out before posting! Smiley Happy  But hopefully this will help someone else at some point.

Expression table, change to constant - solution.png