cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing part colors using Edit Object Display

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I've been going around on this for over week and still am not clear on how this works.  This has to be one of the more frustrating aspects of NX.  I have a simple one part assembly I've been playing around with to try to understand better how colors work, and I have a question about something I'm noticing.

040517_assembly_navigator.png

If I make part_A the work part, set the select filter to "solid body", select the body in the graphics window, and then use Edit Object Display to change it's color, it changes as expected.  In this case I changed it to green.

040517_green_solid_body.png

However, if I now make the work part (part_A) the displayed part, it's color changes to red.  Why?

040517_red_solid_body.png

I'm guessing when the diplayed part is set to be the assembly and I select a solid body, am I actually selecting the solid body of the component.  Is that right?  If so, what am I selecting when the selection filter is changed from "solid body" to "component"?

I think the root of my confusion is not understanding what I've been selecting.  For most things it has not been a problem, but for colors it definitely matters!

Thanks for any help with this. I appreciate it.

28 REPLIES

Re: Changing part colors using Edit Object Display

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
I believe when you make part_A the work part, you're actually editing the color of the component instance (whether you set Selection to Solid Body or Component) rather than the editing the color of the solid body in the part itself. Use "Component" to apply color changes to the entire component (there can be multiple bodies/objects) versus applying color changes to Solid Bodies only in the component.
This becomes easier to understand if you add another instance of component part_A, and then change the color of the first instance. Would you expect them both to reflect the same color? Probably not, and they don't. So make the components the displayed part to affect all instances (unless their color is overridden at a higher level) or edit the colors at the assembly level to apply color changes to individual instances.

Does that help?
Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Instead of using command “Edit Object Display color” , use “ Assign Feature Face color “that will help you and not showing any error as you mentioned, but I don’t know it’s right method for  assemblies because the name itself mention that it Feature Face it’s working. Can anyone tell me it’s right method or wrong?

Thanks

RRG

I've been going around on this for over week and still am not clear on how this works.  This has to be one of the more frustrating aspects of NX.  

Frustrating aspect, It's not. Understand the functionality based on the various options available. I will try to explain. When you change the color of the component within the assembly by 'Edit Object Display', either by selecting the component in the UI or making it as work part. You are actually changing the color of the component, in the context of the main assembly.

Before changing the color of the component, under the properties of the component check option 'Specific Component Color'. It will be grayed out. I had shown it with an example.

1color.PNG

color.PNG

color1.PNG

Now if I change the color by selecting the component or making it as work part. The option 'Specific Component Color' will become active and it can be unchecked at any time.

color4.PNG

color2.PNG

color3.PNG

Start the command 'Edit Object Display' (Ctrl+J)

From Filters set the Type filter to 'Solid Body' > Select the component > Change the color > Under Settings of the 'Edit Object Display' window, check the options 'Apply to All Faces of Selected Body' and 'Apply Changes to Owning Part' > OK.color7.PNG

With these options, color of the component will change at assembly level as well as at part level.

color5.PNG

color6.PNG

Note that, if you start the 'Edit Object Display' command and do not set the filter, you will not be able to select the options 'Apply to All Faces of Selected Body' and 'Apply Changes to Owning Part'.

Hope this will help!

Ganesh Kadole, QA Analyst (PLM), SQS
Testing: NX 10 | NX 11 | TCIN
TC 11.2 | TC Vis 11.3 | AWC 3.2

RakeshGarud wrote:

Hello,

Instead of using command “Edit Object Display color” , use “ Assign Feature Face color “that will help you and not showing any error as you mentioned, but I don’t know it’s right method for  assemblies because the name itself mention that it Feature Face it’s working. Can anyone tell me it’s right method or wrong?

Thanks

Assign Feature Color changes the color of the faces which are created by that particular feature only. @pkelecy is asking for the part/component color with respect to the assembly.

I have used 'Assign Feature Color' to the edge blend feature which changes the color of blend faces only, not the faces of earlier feature.

afc.PNG

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Ben,  thanks for your response and pointing out the difference between the Component and Solid Body.  I had forgotten a component can have multiple solid bodies (duh!), so in general the selections can be different.

@ganesh,  thanks for your detailed response.  It was very helpful.  I had noticed those settings in the Edit Object Display (i.e. "Apply to All Faces..." and "Apply to Owning Part") but did not know how to access those. Now I do.  I did notice that those are only active if the filter is set to Solid Body.  If the filter is set to Component (for example) they remain greyed out.

Also, there are some subtleties to this that threw me.  For example, if you change the color of a component, you can restore it back to its default color by unchecking "Specific Component Color" in the Component Properties (as you showed).  However, if you change the color of a component's Solid Body or a specific Face, then the "Specific Component Color" setting remains greyed out.  The only way I've found to undo the color change in that case is to go back and apply a color to the whole component (which activates the "Specific Component Color" setting in the Component Properties) and then uncheck that setting.  If that is truly the only way to do that, then that seem's a bit convoluted and something Siemens should try to improve.

Also, along the same lines, I have not yet figured out how to undo a color change made to the actual part (piece part).  Any suggestions there?

Thanks again for the help.  I think I (mostly) understand how this works now.  

EDIT.  

One other thing I've noticed is that if you edit the color of a component that already has a color applied, sometimes that color shows in the Edit Object Display and sometimes it doesn't.  I haven't figured out the rhyme or reason for that.  Any insights there?  Thanks again.

040617_component_with_color_applied.png

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

(I swear I posted this around noon today... but I can't find it so hope it's not a repost).

You stumbled upon a real issue of color management - that of non-component level color changes at assembly level. So you can change an entire component’s color at the assembly level, or go into the component (as DP) and change the color of the solid body (or faces, datums, whatever), and if the component does not have a color override at assembly level it will reflect the change in color. Also you can push non-component-level changes applied at the asm level into the actual part.

Is that it ? Notice the underlined. Well, for one thing notice that doing for the entire component you are changing everything belonging to that component to that color – datums, curves, sheets, even sketches if object settings are on. Maybe this is useful, but at least for me it’s not. I don’t want all these things to be the same color in the asm if I need to view them. I only want the solid to be a certain color, only at the assembly level. There is currently no reliable way to do that – which is a bit odd. It used to work ok in older version but not anymore.

Sometimes the color applied to the solid at the assembly level does stick, sometimes it does not. The mechanism for it is still unclear to me.

See assembly attached here (“color-asm"). The underlying cubes are all their named-declared color (at the displayed part level). 1) Try and guess which of the cubes has the assembly-level color override, since they all are changed from their part-level colors. 2) Lastly, try to change the color of the solid in the “revolve” part. By “try” I mean in the assembly file: apply the change, save, close all, re-open assembly to check if setting was saved. (A: 1) only cube-yellow, 2) I for one can’t change the color of that solid in NX10, thought I was able as you can see to change the color of the cube solids. For that part I can only change the color of its faces. Why ? no idea...).

Dan Iorga
Sulzer Pumps US

@diorga: None of the component has the same color as it's owning part in your assembly.

Performed part cleanup with the following option.

Part Cleanup > Component Display > Remove All Changes

pc1.PNG

Changed color of the 'revolve' component > Save > Close > reopened the assembly and it shows the changed color (Cyan) of the 'revolve' component. I don't see any problem doing that.

pc2.PNG

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

diorga wrote:

(I swear I posted this around noon today... but I can't find it so hope it's not a repost).

You did.  I received an email (and still have it) showing your response.  So I'm not sure what happened to your original post. Very odd.

Thanks for your reply.  At least I know it's not just me!  There are a lot of things about NX I like a lot, but there are definitely some rough edges.  Imo, this is one of them.  One change that would go a long way to improving this is just add a "restore default" button to the Edit Object Display.  It's shouldn't be this hard to remove color changes.  Another would be to make it clearer whether you editing colors at the component level or part level.  Maybe just change the dialog title so it reads "Edit Component Object Display" when editing a component, and "Edit Part Object Display" when editing a part?  Neither of these should be that hard to do.

I hope NX development has this on their short list.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

"I hope NX development has this on their short list."

Probably not, unless you contact GTAC and suggest it to them. GTAC will open an incident report (IR), and if you are requesting new/improved functionality for NX it will be converted to an enhancement request (ER) and handed over to the development team.