Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check-Mate Results Report

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

NX 9.0.2

Has anyone come up with a method of producing a check-mate report that is a little more user friendly than the default?  Ultimately, I would like to have a report generated that includes pics of the issue areas highlighted and maybe some verbage as to why the check failed or resulted in a warning. I understand that XML reports can be generated but the results is really not usable for us.

Thanks,

Randy

8 REPLIES

Re: Check-Mate Results Report

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

randya --

So, in the early days of HD3D, we investigated creating reports for Check-Mate that would include individual images highlighting problems, etc. but quickly determined that the time it would take to process parts and create these images (change the displayed part, rotate part to make the problem visible, hide other parts or bodies that might be occluding the problem object, capture the image, and then rinse and repeat for every failure...) was FAR more time than our Check-Mate customers were willing to stomach.  With an appropriate checking profile, Check-Mate should be a near-instantaneous thing from the end user's perspective...  just a few seconds at most.

So the individual image thing is a really non-trivial idea.  But we tried hard to include a whole bunch of navigational aids in the HD3D unser interface to make it really easy for users to quickly navigate to problem objects and fix them.  (HD3D tags, rich tooltips in the HD3D UI and on the tags, options on the MB3 menu for Check-Mate results like Change Work Part, Change Displayed Part, Fit to Object, etc.)  In terms of interacting with Check-Mate results, the HD3D UI is far and away the richest way to do that.

I'm curious what you're percieving as the "default" Check-Mate reports...  The XML outout is not actually intended to be a report at all.  That's just the results in a compact form.  (That's the file that gets automatically stored into Teamcenter, for instance, if you're saving your results there, too.)  

If you're working in Native Mode, the "Quality Dashboard" and "Check-Mate Viewer" tools (Windows start menu --> NX installation --> NX Tools folder) are both tools for parsing that XML output and turning it into nicer reports.  Of course, commerical XML reporting tools can do the same thing (and much more.)

If you're using Teamcenter, then the "Teamcenter Reporting and Analytics" product has some awesome options for letting you slice and dice the results graphically in all kinds of useful ways.

Does that help at all?

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thanks for the response Taylor. It does and doesn't help. The answer was what I was expecting but not what I (rather my users) was hoping for.

Siemens Phenom

So, I'm still curious what your users are percieving as the "default" Check-Mate "reports".  :-)

Feel free to contact me privately, if you prefer.

Thanks!

Taylor Anderson

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I refer to the output XML as the default reports.

Siemens Phenom

That's what I was afraid of.  XML is just not a pretty thing to look at directly, any way you shake it.  :-)

At the very least, I'd encourage you to check out the Check-Mate Viewer application.  You can access it by going to the Windows Start Menu, choosing your NX Installation, opening the "NX Tools" folder, choosing "Quality Dashboard":

2015-05-13_13-17-03.png

...and then choosing "Check-Mate Viewer" when the option comes up:

2015-05-13_13-20-02.png

From there, browse to the folder where your XML files are stored, and set the path:

2015-05-13_13-20-27.png

(This path will be remembered from session to session, by the way.)

Once you've told it where to find the logs, poke the big "Refresh Data Display" button up there, and voila...  A nice report, aggregating any Check-Mate XML files you've specified:

2015-05-13_13-23-25.png

Each tab has a different view of the data, so you can browse all of the results, or look at differences since the last run, or look at just the failures for a particular part, for instance:

2015-05-13_13-23-26.png

Or look at some aggregate statistics about the entire set of checking you've done, to look for trends:

2015-05-13_13-23-34.png

There's no licensing on this little utility, so you can even put this in the hands of a manager who doesn't even run NX at all.   It's part of the standard NX installation, so there's basically no setup required for any of your users to take advantage of this.  (Except maybe setting the UGII_JAVA_HOME environment variable if you haven't already.)

So take a look!  It can't possibly be worse than trying to look at the XML files directly.  :-D

Good luck, randya!

Taylor Anderson

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thanks Taylor, but this is really no better than opening the XML in Internet Explorer. This is really not a solution for us unfortunately.

Siemens Phenom

I guess I'm really not understanding what you're after here...  Let me back up a step, if you're willing to stick with the conversation...

Who are the "users" of these reports, for your company?

What is the workflow within which they're "using" these reports?

In that context, what specifically would make a Check-Mate report "user-friendly" for these users?

So far, your use case is sounding very atpyical, and so you've got me curious.  :-)

Taylor Anderson

Creator
Creator

Good day Taylor!

Could I integrate this form of report instead the standart form? Becouse I have the next one, and it's doesn't include any useful information.