Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A Surface Modeling with NX?

Creator
Creator

Does NX can do a class A surface modeling without using add-on?

Does NX need add-on software to do a class A surface modeling? If yes, what is the nmae of the add-on?

7 REPLIES

Re: Class A Surface Modeling with NX?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

The Mosler MT900 supercar was class A surfaced in NX (UG at the time), using the standard surfacing tools.  Now the Shape Studio module is available too.

So yes.  

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Adree,

Yes NX is completely able to do Class-A on its own. No add-on software is required.

Is there anything specific you are looking for?

Best Regards

Kapil

Legend
Legend

what I have always found as a problem when modeling aesthetic surfaces in UG/NX

is that it tends to create geometries which are more mathematically complicated

than equivalent geometries created in other systems.

Here is an example of what I mean, a blend created in Alias (above) is compared to the

very same blend created in NX (below)

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/Aesthetic-face-blend/m-p/290919#M209... (I'm told this one should have been fixed meanwhile, though).

While "Class A" is a rather vague term, lacking an objective definition, an unnecessarily

complicated surface can hardly be considered to be a Class A surface.  This is the kind of criticism

that my colleagues using Alias always raised when examining NX surfaces (more than G2

continuity, which is more subjective).

Latest NX releases should be better than the old ones on this regard, though.

Legend
Legend

One of my neighbors works at a large OEMs design studio who's headquarters is in Warren, Mi.

They use a mix of Alias and NX in the design studio. He tells me he prefers to work in NX since he has to end up there anyways.

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.1 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:nothing.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Siemens Phenom

NX creates NURBS and some other solutions result mainly BEIZIER surfaces (patches).

Both of them  have there advantage...while Beizier patches do not allow for KNOTS and their control point structure look evenly spaced and less cluttered (and easily mangeable) .. Nurbs offer a fast creation of complex toplogies in less time and with less effort...For example the same CONVEX CONCAVE Y blend (vanishing blend) that takes quite  less time in NX and is rather automatic...most of the Beizier based solutions will have to create each and every patch manually and that is really tiresome (i have worked on ICEMSurf and have done it manually myself in past) . 

If you wish NX can do the same manually also ..remove patches you are not comfortable with and then create patches manually and use Match edge to achieve the specific continuity std..

Ultimately it boils down to the thumbrules and the practices followed by the designers that marks the distinction.

Best Regards

Kapil

Siemens Phenom

NX does not need an-on but you will need the Shape Studio license to get the Class A functionality.

This is available with the NX Mach 3 Industrial Design Bundle for example.

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/nx/for-design/industrial-design/index.shtml#li...

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/nx/for-design/industrial-design/index.shtml

Steve V

Legend
Legend

If you're a Tier 1 supplier to major OEM(s) who uses NX, I recommend talking to your reseller about AS50501

Automotive Supplier Engineering Bundle

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.1 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:nothing.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro