Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Clean up surfaces.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

NX 9

We had a helmet scanned, and then surfaced using Geomagic, and now I was given an IGES file of that data.  As you can see, it came in as a lot of sheet bodies, which I can sew together, but I know when I build off of this...ideally I'd offset surfaces.  I've never been a fan of working with lots of faces, plus I can see some small wrinkles.

Join face doesn't work.  Is there something else I can use to create larger, "simplier", sections of surface, without all the odd faces?

MultiFaces.jpg

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Clean up surfaces.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

autogenerating "reduced" surfaces is not possible (like deleting interior edges), because the whole defintition of the surfaces needs to be changed, if you want larger patches.

You have several options:

- create approximate faces (e.g. thru curve mesh) and use the refit face command.

- Create point sets from the faces and Use Fit surface to create new surfaces

- use Subdivision modeling (Realize Shape) and tweak faces manually until they fit good enough

I am sure there are more possibilities. But the better solution would be to do a better reverse engineering job within Geomagic.

Regards,

Johannes

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I created a grid of points on the surface, but Fit Surface isn't letting me pick points...operator error I am sure.  I also learned that this replaces "From point cloud", which is what I started looking for.

-Dave

-Dave

Phenom
Phenom
Fit surface will take a "group" of points as input

Legend
Legend
Can you get the original STL file and do a "rough offset of zero" of the faceted body to get a sheet body?
Rob Newcomb, Design and Engineering manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.2 / Autoform r8 /WorkNC 2020.0
Testing:NX 1855
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I was able to get the original STL, and used the Rapid Surfacing tool.  Took a couple tries learning the tool, but I'm happy with the results.

-Dave

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Try to cut the helmet into four sided areas using planes. Draw new curves ontop of the sections. Build new sheets using the new curves. In case needed these can be fitted to the geomagic data.