Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Clearance Analysis Run time and Effeciency

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello, we are looking to improve our Clearance Analysis process. Currently, our runtime is incredibly slow and the efficiency is lacking as well. We use it to check for object interferences within our assemblies. Our users who run this have a mid-grade i7, 16-32GB RAM, 64 bit operating system, NVidia Quadro K4000 desktops. 

For example, an small assembly for us has around 1000 objects we want to check, which contains over 400,000 checked pairs in the process of running clearance analysis. This check takes around 2 hours, give or take. 

We want to decrease this runtime, whether it be through modifying our clearance sets or upgrading the computers, however we can. I've wandered around the forums looking for threads on how best to improve computational power but haven't found any concrete advice. Is Nx/Clearance analysis something we run on a server or cloud based system? 

Any information is appreciated, thank you for your time.

DHuskic Nx 9
12 REPLIES

Re: Clearance Analysis Run time and Effeciency

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Siemens would have to answer the first question below:

Is clearance analysis something that takes advantage of multiple CPUs?

Based on the answer to that question, that would guide you to getting fewer CPUs with highest possible clock speed, vs. more CPUs with less speed.

Also (using task manager or whatever) monitor your memory usage - do you max out physical memory?  Try to figure out max memory usage (I don't offhand know how) and make sure you have enough physical memory.  If you get into virtual memory, things slow down quite a bit (several orders of magnitude)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Re: Clearance Analysis Run time and Effeciency

Pioneer
Pioneer
Has Siemens answered that question? I guess the other portion to that question is does clearance analysis take advantage of multiple cores? From what I've noticed while monitoring the resources is that it does use multiple cores and it'll spike up to 80%-100% frequently.

At 16GB, we occasionally max out the memory and start paging. We've began upgrading the users to 32GB's, and we haven't maxed the memory out there yet.
DHuskic Nx 9

Re: Batch Clearance Analysis Set Up Help

Pioneer
Pioneer

Is anyone familiar with how to set up and execute the batch clearance analysis?

It's asking me to specify a script file for its setup but I can't find any documentation on what the script file needs to do. I managed to get it to create a sample script that looks like it's running a clearance analysis. the script seems to require instructions on the what clearance set to process along with variable inputs (zones in x, y, and z directions).

Here's the excerpt from the help doc's:

Batch Clearance Analysis

Use the Batch Clearance Analysis command to perform clearance analysis on a large assembly and save the results in one or more report files. You can also run a batch clearance analysis from an Open C function.
    You can also use this command to divide the assembly into smaller zones. Objects in one zone are not checked against objects in another zone. Use this option when the entire assembly cannot be loaded at one time. Each zone is loaded and analyzed separately. When one zone is complete, the components from that zone are unloaded, and then the next zone is analyzed.

Sample Script:

@echo off
set UGII_ROOT_DIR=C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 9.0\ugii\
"C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 9.0\ugii\ug_clearance" -n="SET1" -r="C:\Users\dhuskic\Desktop\Clearance Analysis\Sample Mold\ClearanceAnalysisReportLog" -e="Testing the mail feature;" -z=4,4,2 "C:\Users\dhuskic\Desktop\Clearance Analysis\Sample Mold\Sample Mold.prt"

DHuskic Nx 9

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You can follow these steps...

1. Create the Clearance Analysis set in NX
  2. Set up the parameters required for objects, exceptions, clearance zones and settings and before confirming, make sure 'Perform Analysis' check in settings is off.  Then hit OK.
  3. Now run the batch analysis command and specify the file selections
  4. Now choose 'Export Script File'

The script has been generated at the location specified and can be run from the command line as detailed below.

If you use the email notification, you may need to give your mail client permission for NX to send the email first.

Or create a script directly using the following syntax:

USAGE –
      Batch clearance analysis is invoked with a command of the format:

> ug_clearance <options> <part file>

The following processing options are supported:

-c(olor)=<color>     - Name of valid UG color to be assigned to 
                               interference objects.  Valid colors are BLUE, 
                               GREEN, CYAN, RED, MAGENTA, YELLOW, WHITE, OLIVE,
                               PINK, BROWN, ORANGE, PURPLE, DARK_RED, and 
                               AQUAMARINE.
        -h(elp)              - Request batch clearance analysis help message be 
                               output.
        -l(ayer)=<layer>     - Layer on which interference objects are to be 
                               placed.  Layer must be in the range 1-256.
        -m(ode)=<mode>       - Clearance analysis mode. Valid modes are SOLID, 
                               FACET_SOLID, BEST_AVAILABLE, FULL_FACET, and
                               QUICK_FACET.
        -n(ame)=<dataset>    - Name of the Clearance Analysis Dataset to analyze.
        -r(eport)=<log file> - Name of the output report file.
        -w                   - Request that mail be sent on completion of 
                               analysis. (Legacy support)
        -e                   - Request that mail be sent on completion of 
                               Analysis to the addresses specified.
        -z(ones)=<x,y,z>     - Specify the number of zones in the X, Y, and Z 
                               directions.
        -user=<name>         - Teamcenter user name
        -password=<name>     - Teamcenter password
        -group=<name>        - Teamcenter group name

Pioneer
Pioneer

This is precisely what I was looking for. Would you mind sharing where I could find this information in the future (if it exists)? Have you have any personal experience with the zones?

DHuskic Nx 9

Siemens Phenom

This detail came from an internal document.  I will raise a PR to get it added to the online help, it should be made available to users.  In the meantime, bookmark this post.

I've not looked at Assembly Zones that much however a quick test shows that a smaller number of checks are made so should improve the performance; I'll look into this further if you need more information.

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'd greatly appreciate being able to better understand what happens in the background with the zones. My concerns are with objects that cross over into multiple zones and how the process handles that.

DHuskic Nx 9

Siemens Phenom
I'll look into it and get back to you.

Siemens Phenom
The USAGE script shown is available using the '-h' switch:
%UGII_BASE_DIR%\nxbin\ugclearance -h