Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clip section view normal to curve

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, Is it possible to slide a clip section view normal to a curve?

Similar to sketch on path but clip section on path.

In my screenshot I'd like to slide a clip section view along the axis of the tubular shape.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Clip section view normal to curve

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @David58 ,

I think specify plane option 'Point and Direction' might help.

ClipSection.png

Regards,

Amol

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hi @David58,

To create clip section normal to a curve, we need to have centerline of the tube.
In NX1847 there is an option to extract centerline from a tubular body in Extract Virtual Curve command.
Once centerline is created then it is possible to create clip section normal to a curve using On Curve method.
Please see the attached video for details.

(view in My Videos)

Thanks,
Kaustubh Hanmante

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks much for the responses.

The video response is close, but I would like the view manipulator to follow the axis/curve instead of going straight off in the Z axis.  I'd like the view manipulator to follow the curve in the same manner that the sketch on path slides along the edge/curve and staying normal to it.

The reason for this is to check car body/trim clearances to a rolled up airbag cushion that travels from the A-pillar rearward. It's never a staight pt A to pt B roll. Currently I just rotate/translate the view manipulator to get close to being normal to the cushion roll axis as I move.

Thanks again!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @David58 , 

As far as I know, that is not possible currently.

Regards,

Amol

Highlighted

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi @David58 ,

To get the desired output using clip section view normal to Curve, please specify Plane along curve and select the guide curve of the tube and drag the Arc length handle of CSYS along the guide curve. We can get expected result using Translate origin point. Please check avi and Part file from attached folder.

(view in My Videos)

Thanks,

Vinod Kharote

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Vinod, This is exactly what I want. I don't know how I totally missed "on curve" under the pull-down menu.

Thank you very much!