Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete 2-D Section Views on drawing

Experimenter
Experimenter

My employer wants to find a way to capture all of the aspects of a 3D part in a 2D drawing. For round/cylindrical objects with different no symmetric shapes along the outer surface, is there a way to take multiple section views and basically overlay them all onto the same plane to put into one drawing view? A regular section view will only capture the part in view and not the parts shown if rotated (except with hidden lines). The best way I can think of expaining this would be a non-symmetric reverse revolve feature onto a single plane (starting at the center of the object and ending on the outside of the object). Essentially I am asking if I were to put a plane through half of the object is there way to be able to rotate the 3D geometry of that object onto the 2D plane making every section of the outer surface hit the same exact point on the plane as its rotated about the axis, and be able to make that into a single drawing view?

Thanks

4 REPLIES

Re: Complete 2-D Section Views on drawing

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @scott4215,

It sounds like you're looking to create a "Spun Outline" - does that sound correct?    The CAM application has the ability of creating these outlines using the Turning module.

See if this thread is similar to what you're trying to accomplish.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

I looked into the the spun outline feature in the CAM application but it seemed to still be missing some of the features on the outside surface of the cylinder. I have attached a picture of a basic piston model with an array of datum planes. This is along the lines of what I am trying to do except making section views at each of these individual planes to capture all of the features on the surface of the cylinder when revolving around the center (z-axis). Along with having all of those planes create section sketches on them, is there a feature to basically overlay them on top of each other to make them all line up on a single plane, say the XC-ZC plane? If this is possible then can it be associative when implemented into a 2D drawing view to make it easier to update the view?

Thanks

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You can specify the planes at which the spun section is created.

Note the planes must go THRU the geometry - it is not like a section view where you see the geometry "beyond" the section line.

You might want to try the "auto" sectioning (vs. specifying th section planes)

(Note there is a point where, if the geometry is complex enough, the "auto" option won't work, and you have to use planes).

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

There are probably several ways to accomplish this, none of them quick unless you automate them.

[File attached]

Screenshot - 8_15_2017 , 8_52_14 AM.png

Regards, Ben