cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complex surface pattern

Hi All

I am having a trouble patterning some features onto a surface. The features are too complex and have to be modelled in large amounts on order to get the desired pattern. The process is too "heavy" for my laptop and NX to complet and it results in the software crashing.

I have tried modelling a few instances of the pattern and then extracting that geometry in order to pattern the extracted body feature. It is still too heavy to handle.

Any suggestions ?

Best regards Simon

7 REPLIES

Re: Complex surface pattern

Here are the mentioned files that are attached in the opening post. I can't seem to figure out how to open attached files from a post.

Surface patternSurface pattern

Second attached file.

Surface pattern2Surface pattern2

Hi,

Have you tried making the pattern w/o fillets and fillet the pattern afterwards?

Yes, i have made the Extrude (5) (Before the fillets) the current feature and then patterned the desired features. This had no effect on the processing time.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Have you tried pattern face instead of pattern feature? Sometime that is more robust.

Scott

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

You absolutely need to use Pattern face instead of Pattern Feature (with pattern face you can pattern the extrusion plus the blend).
Pattern feature is useful only when your instances must have special parameters.

Beppe G
Siemens PLM Italy

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

You may be able to get this to work if you use multiple smaller patterns instead of one very large pattern. For example instead of 100 x 100, create a 10 x 10 first and then select the last column/row from the previous pattern to create the next one, etc. 

Having said that, if you ever update the part, you may again run into your original problem. But it is worth a try.

Abe