Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Component is Reference-Only

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

In Managed (Teamcenter) NX...

When a component is set to Reference-Only it will not be shown in the BOM (BVR), works as expected.

I would also like a component set as Ref-Only to not show when placed at a higher level.  How is this achieved?  Arrangements with suppression is all I can think of...

I see that in the ANT we can turn off the display of REF components, but this does not seem to effect the 3D display.

I am coming from 15+ years of Solid Edge experience where a Ref component does 2 things automagically:  1.) is not shown at the next higher level in 3D    2.) is shown in the draft views as phantom'ed...

My goal or need is to be able to take a top-level assy and identify all Ref components throughout the ANT tree at any level to show/hide assuming I have no idea at which subs they might exist.

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7
4 REPLIES

Re: Component is Reference-Only

Gears Phenom

Going against the Siemens recomended practice....use reference sets in our assemblies, and remove the reference components, from our default "model" reference set.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Gears Phenom

yes, BUT... 

We don't like Ref Sets either because they need to be manually maintained as well...

and also,  AFAIK Ref sets need toggled at each sub as well.  I'm looking for a way to toggle the entire assy in one step.

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi @MattJonhson_PG

Have you tried to make a custom filter in your tree?

Make new filter, ask for attribute, then look at attribute for reference only.
You will then be able to select all off them in one swoop no headache.
With a little bit of work you can also get this process automated.

Has for the phantom in draft.. well if you blank them in assembly they will be blanked in draft also.
Otherwise you can do the same type off selection while in draft and set all component to phantom line.

Cheer's !!!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @MattJonhson_PG,

Ref Component attribute is supposed to used as a geometric reference, as for Non-Geometric, where the component is not visible, but still shows up in the BVR.

Depending on your TC customization suppressing components can hide these components in the BVR. If it is OTB(I think) then the NX supression removes it from the BVR. So that means you could use arrangements from either the highest level or use previosly created ones in the lower subassemblies to achieve your goal.

I would not use Reference Sets here. Reference Component and Reference Sets are two totally different ideas.

A Reference Set is used to show certain geometries/components to help with loading an assembly or to accelerate a geometry simplification at close to the end of the chain. Let's say each single part has a Simple Ref Set. Well you could technically have a script load/show only the Simple representations of the single parts, perform a step export and bam, your marketing, sales colleagues or customers have simple lightweight models to use. You can go even further and create Simple Ref Sets in each of the assemblies, yes manual but effective, and then your final simple models are even lighter, because you would define your Ref Sets in the assemblies as just the outter parts. These are just one of the many examples you can use Ref Sets. Here is book you can check out to learn more:

https://www.amazon.com/NX-Reference-Sets/dp/3410256873/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526468102&sr=8-1&keyw...

A Reference Component is used, when you, well, want to reference that particular component/assembly. For example a group of engineers design an assembly, that you want to use in your assembly but is not relevant to your EBOM. This is the case where you would use Reference Component. It is geometrically visible, but does not show up in your BVR in TC and if you do an automatic creation of the EBOM, the referenced components would not show up in it.

In conclusion, if you want to display or not display certain things on the drawings, then you should suppress them and control the suppression with arrangments. This is a manual step that you have to do. You have two options. The first one is to control everything, even single parts and subassemblies in subassemblies, from the very top. This can sometimes be misleading for other colleagues or yourself in the future, because you do not know what is controlling them. In the Assembly Navigator you can turn on the Suppression Control column and there you will see where the suppression "sginal" is coming from. If controlling everything from the top, then you will see the part number in these cells.

The other option is to create arrangements in every assembly to suppress or not. These arrangements will be created in each of the higher level assemblies and you can control the suppression of the lower level components in this way.

Warning: you cannot suppress a component and it also have the Reference Component attribute set to Yes. This does NOT work!