Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Components used in Multiple assemblies

Pioneer
Pioneer

We do not have teamcenter and don't think we ever will but I am running into a problem and would like some advice.

We have 1 customer that is having us design dies for them and they use alot of the same components between the tools. So I have a few details that are in each assembly. Currently I have them placed in the assembly and in each folder separately. Now when I revise one of the details I have to go and find that detail in each assembly and update that one as well. Its working OK right now but wnen I have 100 assemblies with shared components its going to get crazy.

How is everyone handling this without teamcenter, Im not to far in yet to change.

Thanks,

Brian Marchand-Die Designer
http://www.armotool.com/
NX 9.0.3.4 / PDW
Dell Precision T7610 w/Xeon ES-2609
16G Ram - Nvidia Quadro K5000
Win 7 Pro x64
12 REPLIES

Re: Components used in Multiple assemblies

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Just move common components to one folder and adapt Load options to include that folder.

Pioneer
Pioneer

I thought about that as one solution.

We load everything partial, would there be potential to change a part, then someone load an assembly partial, open file that was modified and print without updating drawing.

In other words would The person that modified the part have to update all assemblies or would that part show updated after the one save in the assembly that it was changed in

Thanks

NX 9.0.3.4 / PDW
Win 7 Pro x64

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Would loading components from search folders work?

Using NX 8.0.3.4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
If you use the same component in more assemblies, which are open on different machines, and the part is modified and saved on one machine, there if a procedure to follow to update it everywhere (on other machines).
On the machine where you modified the component it is simple - the component is changed across all loaded assemblies.
On other machines you can use close and reopen. It will identify that the component was changed and load the new version into opened assemblies. You have to notify somehow other users to do the action.

Creator
Creator

Are they purchased items?  Assuming they are purchased components similar to sensors, standard lifters, screws, dowels, etc.  Just put them all in their own folder on the network.  Call the folder "Customer X components"  Make the files "read-only" in Windows.  A purchased component can't change so once you have these components created, there should be no reason to change them.  Set your load options to "search folders" and add the Customer X components to the search folder listing.

NX 9.0.3.4 MP6

Pioneer
Pioneer

No they are components that we manufacture and they are constantly changing them

NX 9.0.3.4 / PDW
Win 7 Pro x64

Creator
Creator
So the component can be in die # 1 and in die #2 and die #3? What if die #1 and die #2 get cut and die #3 is in design and the component changes. Do you re-machine component for dies 1 and 2?
NX 9.0.3.4 MP6

Pioneer
Pioneer

Yes, because these items are high wear out items, we make many per month, they might make a change once in a while and next time we open that design we need to have the component upcdated because we clone some of these to a new design and would like the correct revision to start with

NX 9.0.3.4 / PDW
Win 7 Pro x64

Creator
Creator

What changes on it?  Screw positions? L, W, H?   Where do your mill programmers pull the data?  Are they reading NX files or do you have to export data?

I am wondering if you could show the same thing visually in each design, but update the CNC file to the latest and greatest.  For example, if a nitro cylinder manufacturer changes 10 things in one of their cylinders internally, we wouldn’t see that in our design.  We simply just show the same thing we always have, the can and the rod. . .

Obviously if you are changing L, W, or H, or screw positions, you are probably having to change neighboring components to avoid interference.

NX 9.0.3.4 MP6