Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Suggestions: Issues Loading very large assemblies, TC managed

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello All,

So it has been over one year that i have been struggling with this machine that was purchased for me by my employer. It is the top of the line offering from our tech-support company Mantech. It cost nearly $10k, it is a Dell Precision 7920 Tower, with an upgraded SSD harddrive.

Now i am a mechanical/aerospace engineer, not a computer engineer, nor a networking engineer, nor a server engineer, but something very wrong has been going on for the last year and techsupport keeps pointing fingers at different tech-support-groups and for the last year i have been tossed around between techs with everyone blaming everyone else and no one really getting anything fixed.

My problem: I am loading, on a regular basis, or need to anyway, very large models. Think full spacecraft models where the spacecraft envelope is 16' in diameter, 25' tall, and has thousands of parts. I also need to open facility models, buildings on lab that are large dimensionally, but generally don't have many components/parts.

My computer, for some reason, is insanely slow to load models. I am on an ethernet connection, hardwired to the wall. I can pull nearly a Gbps from the internet (www) but when it comes to loading these models from our teamcenter servers into a TC managed NX11 session, my task manager / performance monitor, is telling me i am rarely getting 10's of kbps. Occasionally it will spike to 10's of Mpbs, but in between these spikes, the recieve rates are reporting a solid zero bps for multiple seconds between sad little spikes of kbps.

I use a single medium sized sub-assembly (a fraction of what i need to use on a regular basis) as the baseline standard to assess load times accross different machines/configurations. It is approximately a 1m^3 box, with 2 dozen electronics boxes inside of it, each with probably 100-200 fasteners.

Others at my institution, in other buildings, can load these same models in 5-6minutes. For me it can take upwards of 50-60 minutes.

Others in my building can load these same models via Wifi on their laptops in about 10-12 minutes.

When a wifi-USB-dongle was plugged into my machine, i was able to load these models in about 10-12 minutes.

The slowness is intermittent at times. Sometimes it works decently for days, and then i'll go days or weeks where it is total junk.

Possible conjecture: a few months ago, one of the tech guys thought it might be my graphics drivers that need to be updated. Some of the times when he updated the NVIDIA graphics drivers, it would load the model in question in the 6minute range. The next day, i'd be back to slow again, but then update graphics, and it'd be fast again. I don't know if this works anymore, i haven't tried it in a while. But the intermittency of it made me think this effect is all in my head.

So, here is what i would like from the community:

1. Recommendations on things to try/check out and report back about.

2. Recommendations on a new machine. Think $10-$15K is the cost limit. I need to know every nitty gritty detail of the build so i can hand it to my supervisors and tech team and say "buy this" and there will be no doubt that a hardware or software or performance configuration/capacity/capability of the desk machine is the problem.

Thank you all so much for your help.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Computer Suggestions: Issues Loading very large assemblies, TC managed

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @MarsRover ,

This PDF document should be helpful to you : siemens-workstation-configuration-guide.pdf

Regards,
Samadhan

GTAC | NX Help: NX1102 | NX1202 | NX1847
Please mark post as an "Accepted Solution", if it answers your question/is more helpful!

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for this...

My computer's specs:

• CPU: Intel Xeon Gold 6136 3.0GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo, 12C
  • Memory: 64GB (4x16GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC (370-ADVI)
  • Storage: 2TB SSD (2 x 1TB)
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro P4000, 8GB 4 DP (7X20T) (490-BDTP)

Recommend specs for the highest performance catagory in the document you provided:

• CPU: Xeon E5-1630 v3, 3.7GHz
  • Memory: 64Gb
  • Storage: 1TB HDD
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro K4200 or AMD Firepro W7100

I don't know how these compare

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

It sounds more like a network/server issue than your PC hardware.

I don't know how, but can you look at how TC caching is implemented?

Can you get the networking people to give you EXACT specs on how your PC talks to servers (all intermediate routers/switches/etc.)  Can they find/monitor packet failures/timeouts/etc. on these communications?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

@MarsRover wrote:

Others at my institution, in other buildings, can load these same models in 5-6minutes. For me it can take upwards of 50-60 minutes.

Others in my building can load these same models via Wifi on their laptops in about 10-12 minutes.

When a wifi-USB-dongle was plugged into my machine, i was able to load these models in about 10-12 minutes.

I agree with @Ken_A , it sounds like more of a network issue; especially if you get consistently improved performance when using a USB wifi connection. Our IT department recently installed a bunch of new network switches; unfortunately, after installation, we found out there is a known bug in the firmware. Some users get degraded performance, or can't connect at all, until IT reconfigures their connection. The issue is intermittent; a user that can connect just fine today, may not be able to connect tomorrow.

Just had another thought -

Do you have BOTH "wired" and "wireless" networking turned on at the same time?  (I'm thinking not initially, but once you added the wireless this could be an issue)

We've seen some horrendous performance when both were turned on in a TC environment.

Turning off one helped a LOT.

Another network test

- create a HUGE file (1 GB or so)

- try copying it to/from a network drive, and look at your network performance...are your getting the bPS you think you should?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled