Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concentric constraint difficulties

Genius
Genius

Hello,

I suspect this will be an easy issue to solve, but I'm a relative newbie to NX so forgive me! I am currently doing a job where I need to frequently apply concentric constraints to align parts. When applying a concentric mate in SolidWorks, my usual software, selecting either circular edges, faces or axes would yield the same result - that is, aligning the components together such that they are free to move along the common axis.

However, in NX I am finding that I am unable to select circular faces to define concentricity; instead I can only select the circular edges of two parts. However although this does provide concentricity, it also seems to cause the constraint to touch the two edges together, meaning that I can't put a gap between the two components.

From my limited training I remmeber being able to align axes together to provide concentricity; I believe this would provide the simple concentricity I am looking for. I know how to apply datum axes to a part, but displaying these in an assembly is beyond my abilities.

So, my questions are as follows;

- Is it possible to use faces/edges of parts to provide *only* concentricity between two features

- If not, how would one go about showing datum axes in an assembly for use in a concentric constraint?

I've done my best to explain the issue but I realise it might be hard to understand, so I'll be happy to explain further if needed.

Cheers,

Alex

2 REPLIES

Re: Concentric constraint difficulties

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

If you want to align the axis of one part to the axis of another, use the touch align -> infer center/axis constraint. You can then apply a touch align constraint if you want the parts to be in contact, or use a distance constraint if you need a gap between them.

Re: Concentric constraint difficulties

Genius
Genius

Ah, perfect, I knew there would be an easy way to do it - I think SolidWorks has narrowed my approach to NX..!

Cheers,

Alex