cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused by the Swept command

I'm trying to understand the exact mechanism of "Swept" command.

As shown in the figure, a short line is used as Section and the right green curve string is used as the Guide. All the other options are defaults.

But unexpectedly the resulting surface is not of the shape as the green curves. It seems to be difficult to understand.

Can anybody kindly give some clues? Thanks!

13 REPLIES

Re: Confused by the Swept command

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao,

now I cannot use CAD, I hope I will be able to show you how swept works with the attached image.

Ciao

Cesareswept.png

Phenom
Phenom

P.S.

If L < R

swept1.png

Thanks for the very clear-cut illustration!

Cesare wrote:

Ciao,

now I cannot use CAD, I hope I will be able to show you how swept works with the attached image.

Ciao

Cesare

With the "rigid connection" in your images, the curved surface should occur at point A, not point B. Do I miss something else?

Ask-1 - 副本.png

Hi, @Cesare, it seems that:

● Section Location: Anywhere along Guides
→ the "rigid connection" is always in the direction perpendicular to the guide tangent

● Section Location: End of Guides
→ the "rigid connection" is always in the direction from the section to the guide start

Is my understanding right?

ScreenClip [1].png

ScreenClip.png

Hi, @Cesare, other examples (Example Set B) also seem to be difficult to understand:

Two section lines are of different distances to the guide, and give completely different results.

ScreenClip3.pngScreenClip4.png

In following two examples (Example Set A), I use a tilted circle as the section. Different "Section Locations" give different ends shape. When "Section Location" is set to "Anywhere along Guides", the resulting ends seem to be a surprise.

ScreenClip5.pngScreenClip6.png

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @surfactant_pub,

I'm sure you are confused, the Swept command is very 'complex'.

Look at how it behaves with different orientation options, in addition look at how the command menu changes depending on how many set of guides you choose.

Before using these commands, familiarize yourself with general concepts such as the common alignment concept with other FF comends.

Ciao

Cesareswept.pngswept1.png

Hi, @Cesare, thanks for your reply. I follow your suggestions and read the official page on Alignment methods carefully. It's very helpful to understand the general alignment concept  of controlling how the feature flows from one section to another.

In my Example Set A (i just edited and numbered my posts before your latest reply), I still have one point to tackle:

• How Swept determine the section orientation at the starting point and at the ending point? (Orientation method = Fixed)

The "Section Location" seems to play a decisive role in the process. I do want to understand how Swept works with the "Section Location".

In my Example Set B, two very similiar conditions give completely different results. It also seems to be related to the "Section Location". I doubt that Swept have some undertable mechanism to handle it.

Hope to have your comments.