Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constrained to Plane > Specify CSYS

Genius
Genius

When "Constrained to Plane" is checked in Studio Spline, why is it "Specify CSYS", but not "Specify Plane"? Thanks!

image.png

6 REPLIES

Re: Constrained to Plane > Specify CSYS

Phenom
Phenom
@surfactant,

Don't check the Constrained to Plane box and tell me what you see - it's probably the behavior you're expecting to see when the box is checked. The difference being that when the box is checked, you can define a CSYS on the fly and from which a plane can be derived.

Make sense?
-Tim

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thanks!

Yes, if I don't check the Constrained to Plane box, I can specify the plane.

Sometimes when I try to use Constrained to Plane to modify an exisiting spline, my first reaction is to specify a plane, but NX asks for a CSYS. Yes, NX would try to derive the plane from the CSYS. But at this time I need to derive the CSYS from my desired plane first in my brain, and then let NX derive the plane back from my input CSYS. The process seems to be a little odd.

Phenom
Phenom
@surfactant,

I understand what you mean, but if you think about it and go through each option without the box checked, that's where you are given the opportunity to select a specific plane, whether it's the view plane, 1 of the 3 principle WCS planes or a preexisting plane of your choosing. If you're going to be referencing planes that you've created prior to defining the splines, it's probably best to uncheck the box and leave it that way IMO.
-Tim

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thanks for your comments! Have a good day!

Phenom
Phenom
@surfactant,

It might be worth it to experiment with the box checked and see how or if the different options for specifying a CSYS can fit into your preferred ways of creating geometry. It might end up being useful to you somehow during creation or editing.
-Tim

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF   Thank you for your advice!