Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Constraint Difficulties

Hello,

I have an assembly which I 'finished' last week, but I now wish to add a new component to it. I have made the new component in a separate window, saved as a separate part and have now added it to the assembly. However, I am having difficulty applying the constraints that I need between the new component and the existing assembly.

It's difficult to show a screenshot which encapsulates the problem, but as an example, I wish to apply a parrallel constraint between the component and the assembly. In the picture below, I wish to make the largest visible face on each component parallel. However, in the 'Assembly Constraint' window I am only able to select mating features from the new part - I am suddenly unable to select any part of the existing assembly. I have checked and I do not have any selection filters turned on.

Capture.JPG

I realise this is vague but I can't show a picture of something that is not happening! If anyone could help I'd be very grateful - any questions are welcomed.

Cheers,

Alex

10 REPLIES

Re: Constraint Difficulties

Is your assembly the work part?

I believe so yes, the assembly navigator certainly doesn't indicate that anything else is the work part.

Alex

Are the components on selectable layers?

How are you initiating the assembly constraint dialog?

I've noticed that if I right click on a component and choose "move" then use the "by constraints" option, NX forces the first constraint selection to be from the chosen component; after that is chosen, you can freely choose other assembly geometry to constrain to. This behavior is different from using the assembly constraints command directly, which allows you to select in any order.

From the screenshot that you posted, I don't think the following is the root cause, but I'll mention it anyway. When creating parallel constraints, the chosen geometry must be planar or linear. NX won't let you select B-surfaces, for example, when creating parallel constraints.

[ Edited ]

I'm thinking you may not have the assembly part as the work part.

NX typically "greys out" parts in this case.

Look in your ANT (assembly navigator), does the assembly icon show like the left or the right of the attached image?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

Not sure if this reply is to me, but I can confirm that the assembly part is the work part (looks like the left part of your image).

Also, I've checked layer settings and everything seems to be in order (if not a little unorganised...)

Capture.JPG

Yes, I believe so - I've just been working on one layer:

Capture.JPG

I *was* selecting the constraints by simply selecting the assembly constraints tool; however, I've just tried using the 'move by constraints' tool and that is achieving what I want - it seems strange though that I can't seem to do this using the assembly constraints tool.

Cheers,
Alex

Hi,

Sorry it might be be a foolish suggestion but have you checked your selection filter while using Assembly constraints (no selection filter/entire assembly etc. )

Regards

Kapil