Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraints between components

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to display/filter constraints to show what constraints apply to selected components?

Say I select a plate that has multiple components assembled to it. I want to select the plate and one of those components and see which constraints apply to both to those items... Hopefully displayed as list of constraints.

14 REPLIES

Re: Constraints between components

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Select the component and the open the Dependencies pane at the bottom of the Assembly Navigator. Select the magnifying glass to see the constraints associated with that component.

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

But that shows me all the constraints applied to that entire component.

I need to see the constraints that are shared between two components.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

What about creating a constraint group between the selected components? Right click the Constraints node in the ANT, select "New Constraints Group" and with "Between Selected Components" select the components to create the group.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Aw ok that works!

Seems clunky, as with most NX functions, given I would have to go update these and/or delete them and recreate them as the assembly progresses (components being replaced, deleted, or updated). Wish it could be a instantaneous display by selecting two components. Another ER to write that will be ignored for years if not decades. Smiley Happy

Thank you for the help and insight!

Phenom
Phenom

In constraints navigator, with component filter, in the direction to fixed column, green arrow indicate constraints that position the component.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Phenom
Phenom

BenBroad wrote:

What about creating a constraint group between the selected components? Right click the Constraints node in the ANT, select "New Constraints Group" and with "Between Selected Components" select the components to create the group.

Ben,

are you using NX for work or you joke with NX ?

Which answer is, create "New Constraints Group". For you, during my work using NX in assembly application, during the creation of a assembly stucture, for each constraint, I need to put this constraints in a constraints group ? Sometime I'm try to understand if NX developper eng use NX to design or not.

Please, see what other CAD do, before implement or do something.

Thank you...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Cubalibre I see you agree the assembly structure in NX is in need of work...
If you have a moment could you please submit a GTAC (http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/support/gtac/) for this constraint suggestion. Siemens never reviews anything no matter how "great" the idea is unless multiple people submit problem tickets. They have already converted my problem to an Enhancement request so if you submit one make note if they find the ER already available and add that one to the same ER. It's titled "Shared constraints list between components" under ticket number 7739623.

Unfortunately this is the stupid game we must play.

Here's the text for that ER:

o Short Description:
Select two or more components and have an instantaneous list of shared constraints between the components display (i.e. similar to the selection of a single component and displaying its numerous constraints in the dependency window)

o What activity in your process is NX not able to currently handle?
Understanding the assembly structure in a streamlined hierarchy that assemblies have in real life. At the moment NX shows an assembly as a hodgepodge of components and constraints with no way to see the underlining logical structure of the assembly.

o What result are you trying to achieve?
Quick and easy access to assembly constraints between components to comprehend the assembly structure or sequence of the assembly.

o Do you currently have a workaround?
At the moment the only way to achieve this is to create constraint groups which, as with most NX features and functions, require excessive maintenance and redos.

o Do you have a proposal for the solution you envision NX providing for this capability?
Provide a way to display shared constraints with an instantaneous selection of multiple components similar to the selection of a single component and displaying its numerous constraints in the dependency window.

o What is the level of productivity gained from such an enhancement?
A better and increased level of understanding of an assembly structure especially when constraints have failed due to components changing, being removed, or replaced.
This will allow for knowing what constraint to correct and which assembly component it affects.

Thanks!

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@BenBroad  That's pretty cool, BUT once the group is created, and I select one of the components in the group, the group doesn't show in the dependencies window?  I see the assy constraints, and expected to see the associated constraint group too.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Phenom
Phenom

Corey1776 wrote:

Cubalibre I see you agree the assembly structure in NX is in need of work...
If you have a moment could you please submit a GTAC (http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/support/gtac/) for this constraint suggestion. Siemens never reviews anything no matter how "great" the idea is unless multiple people submit problem tickets. They have already converted my problem to an Enhancement request so if you submit one make note if they find the ER already available and add that one to the same ER. It's titled "Shared constraints list between components" under ticket number 7739623.

Unfortunately this is the stupid game we must play.

Here's the text for that ER:

o Short Description:
Select two or more components and have an instantaneous list of shared constraints between the components display (i.e. similar to the selection of a single component and displaying its numerous constraints in the dependency window)

o What activity in your process is NX not able to currently handle?
Understanding the assembly structure in a streamlined hierarchy that assemblies have in real life. At the moment NX shows an assembly as a hodgepodge of components and constraints with no way to see the underlining logical structure of the assembly.

o What result are you trying to achieve?
Quick and easy access to assembly constraints between components to comprehend the assembly structure or sequence of the assembly.

o Do you currently have a workaround?
At the moment the only way to achieve this is to create constraint groups which, as with most NX features and functions, require excessive maintenance and redos.

o Do you have a proposal for the solution you envision NX providing for this capability?
Provide a way to display shared constraints with an instantaneous selection of multiple components similar to the selection of a single component and displaying its numerous constraints in the dependency window.

o What is the level of productivity gained from such an enhancement?
A better and increased level of understanding of an assembly structure especially when constraints have failed due to components changing, being removed, or replaced.
This will allow for knowing what constraint to correct and which assembly component it affects.

Thanks!

DONE.

Thank you...