Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraints for Sketch

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

I have a peculiar case(Atleast to me), In feature tree I see a sketch status as Under constraint, if i enter in to the sketch it says Sketch needs 0 constraints. But when Checkmate is run on the part, it fails for fully-constraint test.

Any clues how to correct this ?

NX10.0

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES

Re: Constraints for Sketch

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Is the skecth fully constrained in the sketcher because a number of auto-constraint dimensions have been created?  If you enter the sketch, start any dimension tool, and look at the status line.  Does it look similar to this?2017-04-27 09_54_58-NX 10.0.3.5 - Modeling - [model3.prt (Modified) ].png

Pioneer
Pioneer
The sketch does not have any Auto dimensions.

It says "Sketch Needs 0 constraints ". (only that).

Also I tried creating auto dimensions for the sketch to make it fully constraint. Was hoping to get something like, Sketch is fully constraint with 1 auto dimension or so, but turned out to the same description"Sketch Needs 0 constraints".

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have had the same thing in NX8.5.3. Reported it with no response.

I just went with it saying it needs 0 constraints, and ignored the Under Constraint message.

Apparently it is a bug from NX8.5.3 that never got addressed.

Phenom
Phenom

This is not a bug also happened to me with various versions of NX.

Usually sketches affected by this problem have tangency condition with arc and circle.

Use show remove constraint to indagate this.

Ciao

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @sathya,

Can you share the part file containing the sketch? That would be very easy to help you.

Does sketch have too many dimensions? Try to use geometric constraints wherever possible because the solver works best if geometric constraints are used instead of the dimensions.

Experimenter
Experimenter

We encounter that frequently in sketches with zero length lines. We have a part template that we use as a base for many of our parts. If a dimension in the model changes such that one line/curve goes to zero length it gives that same message. If I delete that zero-length line, or adjust the sketch so that the line is no longer zero-length, the error goes away.

Windows 10-64 - Precision M4800 - 16GB - Quadro K2100M - NX 11.0.2.7 MP7 - Teamcenter 11.2.3 - ANSYS 19.0

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello @Cesare,

Could you help me how to get over on this error ?

When I check in show/remove constraints, sketch has degrees of freedom. But draging the entity in the arrow direction didn't work.

Thanks

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello @GaneshKadole

Yes the sketch has more dimensions. (May be around 100 to 150), and it is quite a big sketch.

Is there a way I can check what brings this error?

Unfortunately I could not upload the sketch here.

(I'm afraid I can do so).

Thanks

Phenom
Phenom

I proceed cautiously, I delete a constraint, I watch the result. If this is not what I have expected I go back (CTRL+Z) and then I try another constraint and so on.

I know it is a boring job.... :-)

Ciao

Cesare