Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion UG to SW and vice-versa

Experimenter
Experimenter

We have a older part (.prt) file from a customer that the customer needs converted into something they can work with, perhaps an unflattened version of either Unigraphics or SolidWorks. The version of SW that we own is 2012 and it will not open the file.  We would be willing to buy a tool that does these kinds of conversions if one exists.  Assistance is greatly appreciated.

10 REPLIES

Re: Conversion UG to SW and vice-versa

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I can't speak for how you would open an NX file in SolidWorks, but with the proper translator options, you can open both SolidWorks Component parts (..sldprt files) and SolidWorks Assembly Files (.sldasm files) in NX.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter

In Solidworks 2012 there is NOT any filter how to open native NX-part. You have to export it from NX as STEP or IGES anf then import that file to Solidworks.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Is there a way to import Solidworks parts/assemblies into standard units instead of metric?  The options button is not available when importing.   We do almost all aerospace work, so trying to work with parts imported from customers or vendors is kind of a nightmare, when most of them were designed in inches to begin with, but always convert to mm.  

Thanks

Mark Deadrick

3dyn, llc

San Diego, CA

Siemens Phenom

I suspect I know why this is the case, but you might want to check with GTAC first on this one.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter

OK, I called GTAC and was informed that this is resolved in 9.0.2.5.  I was on one version previous to that.   I also needed to set defualt units to inches in customer defaults.   All good now.  No more damned metric system.

Experimenter
Experimenter

John,

I've seen this same response on a few threads.  I can open a SLDPRT or SLDASM in NX, but I'm trying to see the tree.  When I open the part now, the file shows up as a simple solid body (similar to an parasolid).  Is there any way to import and preserve the tree?

Thanks,
Matt

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Someone from Siemens really has to comment, but...

Guessing...

No.

I'm guessing they are reading the Parasolid data embedded in the SW file (and vice-versa)

Modeling features (to use the NX term) are layered on TOP of Parasolids (i.e they are not part of the Parasolid kernel).  So the Parasolid data has no knowledge about them.  So they can't be displayed.

Some third parties (Theorum???) attempt to do feature conversions between the various Solids based CAD systems, with varying degrees of success.  But that ends up going through a conversion, like STEP or whatever

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I agree with Ken, my guess would be NO also.

Siemen's?????

Siemens Phenom

When you open and assemly file from SW you will get the structure to come across. If you open a single part file you get a solid body without any features. Here is look at an assemlby I brought in.

SolidworksInport.pngSolidworks to NX

Scott