Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert instance feature to pattern feature

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

Is there a way to easily migrate or convert old instance / instance geometry features to the new pattern / pattern geometry features?

Anyone tried this before?

Thanks

12 REPLIES

Re: Convert instance feature to pattern feature

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

No, there is no 'conversion'.  However, most functions, such as the new 'Pattern Components' will allow the selection of legacy feature 'Instances' as well as 'Pattern Features'.for reference.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Pioneer
Pioneer

John,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes I realized there would be no automatic conversion...

The reason I asked is - lets say if I have an instance array of Holes that I want to apply PMI Hole callouts...If its created using the pre NX8.5 Instance geometry feature, then I would have to individually add each hole instance feature - where as the new Pattern feature automatically adds the "instanced" geometry as associated objects.

Is there a quick way creating a dummy pattern feature on top of the old instance feature to get the PMI hole callout capability?

Thanks

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yes, you can still use instance. But, you can't mix instance and pattern. Say you have a legacy file with 20 holes and need to add 1. The current holes are already clocked to proper position.

You can't add 1 hole without redoing the instance array and redoing all of the clocks.

If you put the new hole in with pattern, the qty. will not show up correctly using Feature Parameters in drafting.

I have mentioned this to our reseller with no response from Siemen's.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Jadodaro..

John - Can you elaborate what you mean by " the new 'Pattern Components' will allow the selection of legacy feature 'Instances' as well as 'Pattern Features'.for reference."

Thanks!

Siemens Phenom

Starting with NX 9.0 we've replaced 'Component Arrays' with 'Pattern Components' which provides the same capabilities.  That is, if the Component that you wish to 'Pattern' has already been constrained relative to something like a Hole feature that is a member of either a legacy 'Instance Feature' OR a new 'Pattern Feature', the Components will be automatically 'Patterned', one for each member of the referenced Instance/Pattern.  And if the Component has not yet been constrained when asked to select a 'Reference' 'Pattern' you'll be able to select either an 'Instance Feature' or a 'Pattern Feature'.

The point I was trying to make was that when using the new (for NX 9.0) 'Pattern Component' capability, there is NO need to go back and replace any legacy 'Instance Features' with new 'Pattern Features' if you wish to use them as a 'reference' when patterning your newly added Components.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

John,

That sounds great for NX9 users, but what about NX8.5 users??

We just switched to NX8.5 and can't justify going to NX9 this quick.

Siemens Phenom

In NX 8.5, when creating a 'Component Array', you can select either a legacy 'Feature Instance' or a new 'Pattern Feature' as the' Reference' and it will work just like the new' Pattern Component' does in NX 9.0.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

John,

My mistake, assemblies work fine.

I was talking about adding holes in a part. Still no easy work around to get the feature parameters in drafting to recognize both old 'Legacy Array' and new 'pattern' hole quantities, without a major remodel on die shoes.

Siemens Phenom

That's a topic from another thread altogether.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA