Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convertion of .prt to .stp solid format

Experimenter
Experimenter

Sir,

Please suggest to Convert .prt file to .stp solid format file (STEP203/STEP214) in Siemens NX 10.  Any separate licence is required for doing so.  We are having a network licence.

Also, please tell opening of .stp files require separate licence in Siemens NX.

Regards

Nanda Gopal B G

5 REPLIES

Re: Convertion of .prt to .stp solid format

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

@BGN wrote:

Sir,

Please suggest to Convert .prt file to .stp solid format file (STEP203/STEP214) in Siemens NX 10.  Any separate licence is required for doing so.  We are having a network licence.

Also, please tell opening of .stp files require separate licence in Siemens NX.

Regards

Nanda Gopal B G

Hello @BGN

You can convert the files to .stp using the export command. Go to File>Export>STEP.  You can export to whichever STEP version you want.

And you can open step files directly by selecting the 'step format' in the file open dialog box, or you can go to import option in file menu and select step 203, 214, or 242, depending on the file.

I'm not sure whether it requires a separate license or not though. It's basically just like 'save as' so should be there in every version of NX. Let me know if you find it in your copy of NX or not.

Regards

Paras Raina

Paras Raina
Sr. Application Engineer | Solid Edge ST10 | NX 11
MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)

Experimenter
Experimenter

Sir,

The following Errors are displayed when we tried to open the part in step format.  (Attached Scree shot)

Also, when we tried to Convert to .stp the following error is displayed.

NX License Error : License Server system does not support this feature.

Error - UF Initialization/license failure occurred.

Regards

BGN

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

if you open the STP file in notepad you can find the export format of the step (203/214/242)

step_notepad.JPG

if it is the step 242 then this is not default in the license and needs a addon license to import export this type of step.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

We a standard NX license you should have not problem. Are you by chance using an education license, there are restrictions with that,.

Steve V

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

STEP translators (including Open & Save As) ARE license controlled.

STEP 242 is a separate license that 203/214.

If you have access to your license file, look for features like "step_ap203", "step_ap214", (and I assume, as I don't have any, "step_ap242")

If you have them but are getting errors, it might be something due to bundle selection.

If you don't have them, well, you will need to get them (assuming no restriction, e.g. educational license)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled