cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Copy, Paste, Break Link of parts in an Assembly (Model Side ) and lock view in ( Draw Mode )

Experimenter
Experimenter

Greetings Y'all, Newbie here!! I've been running Catia the past twenty yrs and i'm new the the NX world. My question is,-  I'm running NX9 and cannot find a way to create multiple copys of a single part without it be associated with original part. i would like to copy, paste and break link to the original created part.  Also on the Draw side, I would like remove some parts off an assembly drawing view which i can do but i would like to lock this view so an update would not affect the view. How is this done without layering and such?

8 REPLIES

Re: Copy, Paste, Break Link of parts in an Assembly (Model Side ) and lock view in ( Draw Mode )

Phenom
Phenom

Ciao @tetonq

I don't understand the first question, regarding the second one, look at the attached image.

Ciao

Cesarecomponents.png

Re: Copy, Paste, Break Link of parts in an Assembly (Model Side ) and lock view in ( Draw Mode )

Experimenter
Experimenter

for the copy, paste, break link. here is an example. --  I am going to create square rack. adding 4 equal length legs. I want two legs to have multiple holes in them. So if i copy, paste part, it has an associative link to original part, and if i add holes to the part it will put them in all instances of part. If i was able to break link it would only apply holes in part/parts that i want, with it being non associative to original part. Is this possible??

Phenom
Phenom

To clarify, is this a component that you are doing a "copy paste" on, or a feature/group of features within the work part?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Phenom
Phenom

First you model the part

Then you assemble the components (file new... add component... and so on)

Apply the 'Make Unique' command

So you have a part disconnected from the other.

part1.pngAssembly.pngMake_unique.png

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

It sounds like you want the make unique command.

Experimenter
Experimenter

component only, While doing some research on this, i see that NX 10 had the ability to do what i'm looking for but was just wondering how users do it in NX 9

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

For NX 9:

• close the assembly (otherwise all instances of the old leg will be replaced with the new leg later on)
  • open the leg part file
  • save-as to a new part file, make changes
  • open assembly, delete the instance you don't want, add the new component

Experimenter
Experimenter
looking forward to NX10 or newer, lol