Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Copy a complete sketch?

Builder
Builder

Is there a way to copy a complete sketch (i.e. the sketch plane with everything on it, including constraints and dimensions) onto a different datum plane?  I'm basically looking for something like reattach sketch, except it copy's rather than moves the sketch. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Copy a complete sketch?

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Highlight the feature and go to menu - copy feature. Then go to menu - paste. It should ask you for the parents. So select the new placememnt face and whatever else you used as external references, and then you will have a duplicate sketch.

Builder
Builder

@wzx5zq wrote:

Highlight the feature and go to menu - copy feature. Then go to menu - paste. It should ask you for the parents. So select the new placememnt face and whatever else you used as external references, and then you will have a duplicate sketch.

That worked! Thanks.

I also discovered I could just right click on the feature and select copy from the pop-up menu.  Even though it doesn't say "copy feature" in the menu,  when pasted the same "Paste Feature" dialog appeared and it seems to paste the same.

One oddity I noticed is that when the Paste Feature dialog is open, you can't move the objects in the graphics window (only those in the smaller "Original Features" window). However, you can only select objects in the graphics window, so it seems like that's the one you want to be able to move. Any idea why it's designed the way it is?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi pmk3,

By default the Original Features window is active when pasting a feature and is possible to rotate to optimize your understanding to what entity is to be mapped (from) under the Reference section in the Paste Feature menu. By moving your cusor into the main graphical window you activate it and will now rotate the geometry in the main graphical window to optimize your undertsanding to what enteties to be mapped (to). Key is to move your cursor to the window you want to activate Main Graphical - or Original Features window (I assume you are using a space mouse).

I hope this explains your question.

Best regards

Fred

Builder
Builder

I've run into another snag with this.

I went to copy and paste a sketch, which worked perfectly the last time I did it, but now the Paste Feature dialog looks different (see below), and I can't select a datum plane for the sketch like I could before.  Also there is no original feature window either. I tried reseting the dialog, but that had no effect.  Any idea why it's behaving differently?

copy and paste feature issue (7-20-18).png

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Is there an intermediate datum CSYS for the sketch you are copying from?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Builder
Builder

@Ken_A wrote:

Is there an intermediate datum CSYS for the sketch you are copying from?

Just the default one included in the model template.  I believe that's what I had before when it worked.

copy and paste feature, PN.png

EDIT: Ok, I think I figured out what is going on.

When I first enter the Sketch in Task Environment, I'm presented with a Create Sketch dialog that allows me to specify where to place the sketch plane.  If I just click Ok to accept the default XY plane (the one highlighted on the datum) and create my sketch, I am NOT able to copy it.  I get the short Paste Feature dialog I showed in the original post (on the right).  However, if I actually click on the XY plane to select it before accepting it, then the subsequent sketch CAN be copied.

So I think what is happening is the default plane (the one selected if I just click ok in the Create Sketch dialog) is actually on the WCS (not the datum csys)  Is that right? If so, then I assume one cannot copy a sketch from the WCS?

EDIT 2: I'm positive this is the case.  At least now I know.  There are certainly a lot of (frustrating) subtlies with NX.