Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Text in model in 7.5?

Experimenter
Experimenter

<->

This must be a simple thing to do.  Yet, every how-to I have found on the net does not seem to work for me.  I simply would like to add text to a model/part, then extrude that test to show engraving on a production drawing.

I end up with a curve that I can't edit.

Thank you very much.

Mike

8 REPLIES

Re: Create Text in model in 7.5?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Just go to...

Insert -> Curve -> Text...

...and you will find a function to create a 'Text' feature which can be defined as just freestanding curves or projected onto the face of a solid model where it can then be selected when performing an extrusion operation so that you can have engraved/raised text on your models, as shown here:

Text as Geometry.PNG

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi John:

Thanks for the reply.

I've done just what you suggested a few times today.  I can extrude it also.  After that I can't seem to come back to it to make any changes.

About a year ago I did this and model history showed it as text which I could easily edit.

I may need to step back for today.  This has been one of those very frustrating tasks that should have been very simple and quick.

Best regards.

Mike

Siemens Phenom

Make sure that in the 'Settings' section of the 'Text' dialog that the 'Associative' option is toggled ON.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Experimenter
Experimenter

John:

With "Associative" on, the feature is now Text!  I can go back and easily modify it.

Thank you for taking the time to solve this for me.  I'll be looking for that option in other dialog boxes if I'm having issues.

Best regards.

Mike

Experimenter
Experimenter

Mr. Baker,

I am looking for an effective and clean mechanism to now turn an extruded text into a machine  engraving. Having some trouble with this. Any recomendations?

David Hayrikyan

A&A Industries

Siemens Phenom

If all you want to do is 'engrave' text during a manufacturing operation and it's not necessary to actually have the text create embossed or raised letters in the model itself, well it's my understanding that there's a utility in the NC package that can do that for you, create an engraving tool path from a string of text.  Perhaps someone more familiar with this than myself can post some details as to where it find this and how to use it.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

In planar milling & fixed contouring there are "text" operation types. (not sure about variable axis)

I know they can select "drafting" text (NX legacy fonts), I believe also "modeling" (truetype/whatever) fonts.

If you can't select modeling fonts with them, then do (whatever) operation type (planar mill/fixed contour/variable contour/etc.), curve drive method.

When selecting the text curves, use the "feature curves" option in the selection bar, so if the text changes (added/deleted letters, etc.) you always get all the curves of the feature.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Legend
Legend

There are many ways to engrave text on any surface depending on what type of tool you want to use.

You can use drafting text or modeling text or curves and use 2 axis, 3 axis or variable axis tool path to do this.

BR,

Mak