Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a model feature like CAM spun outline

Phenom
Phenom

Trying to create a solid that is a minimum revolved body that encloses another body about a defined axis, to use as a geometry for a casting or forging.

I can create a dummy turning workpiece in CAM and revolve the resulting "Spun Outline"

Is there a way of doing this without CAM?

Thanks

Alex

NX9.0.3

8 REPLIES

Re: Create a model feature like CAM spun outline

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

A sketch or image of what you're trying to model would be helpful...

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Phenom
Phenom

It's a general question.

Any body

Select an axis

Create the minimum revolved solid about the axis that encompasses the body.

Spun outline in CAM turning creates the section and this can be revolved to create a solid.

However it's not really parametric as the spun outline will recreate on edit but the revolve using these curves doesn't update reliably

agrivas wrote:

Spun outline in CAM turning creates the section and this can be revolved to create a solid.

However it's not really parametric as the spun outline will recreate on edit but the revolve using these curves doesn't update reliably

I think it depends on how you select the spun outline. I used connected curves as my selection intent, and the revolve updated fine.

For the non-camsters, this is the situation. In CAM Turning, the white part is used to create the orange spun outline, seen in the part navigator. You can use this for other modeling fieatures (such as revolve), but you can not edit it directly - it is associative to the CAM Turning Workpiece.

spun_outline_revolve.jpg

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Why not just create a datum plane passing through the maiximum profile of the part and then create a set of section curves using this datum plane?  Then revolve this profile to create your 'spun' solid.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

John -

Because (quite often) there is not "1 datum plane" that intersects the max material at *all* points on the part.

The turning spun section takes into account that there is a blob here, and a blob over there, and another blob somewhere else, that ALL have to be taken into account.  Plus (sometimes) you have to use edges to get the max outline of the "spun" part.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Phenom
Phenom

@Ken_A

Thanks for adding your pictures. 

I have used spun outline as you did.

It does work most of the time.

I had used "All Edges of Face" selection

I was hoping for a non CAM licence workflow.

Regards

Alex

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Alex, what's wrong with using Create Box (NX10 and upwards) and setting to Bounded Cylinder?

It's a modeling function, so you don't need CAM.

Just do a series of them using the same vector and then unite to get the spun outline.

2015-12-10_12-45-52.jpg

Anthony Galante, Senior Support Engineer
PhoenxPLM
24 versions of NX installed: NX4 to NX12, plus TC11.2

Phenom
Phenom

Anthony,

Create Box -> Bounding Cylinder

Vector controls direction only, not centre of cylinder.

It doesn't contour to the shape .

The code is there as it works in CAM just not available in Modelling. (ER maybe)

I haven't tested. Maybe a template with the CAM Workpiece referencing a Linked Body, MCS, Spun outline etc will update without a CAM licence after re-parenting the linked body.