Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Create a modifiable solid from an imported iges file

Master
Master

I have searched a little and couldn't find anything that seemed to make sense to me on this subject. I imported an iges file and wanted to modify some of the features, i.e. put a hole into it and the like, and it leaves a hole that is literally that a hole into a sheet body that is hollow. Is there a way to make this solid so I can modify it easier? Thanks in advance.

Shags72 Mfg. Eng.
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
NX 11.0.2.7 MP2 Teamcenter 11
Dell M7720 i7-6820HQ 16GB RAM,
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
5 REPLIES

Re: Create a modifiable solid from an imported iges file

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Sew it, if it is seperate sheet bodies.  Or, have it sew upon import.  Still may not create a solid, if there are small gaps, but you can use examine geometry to find any holes.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

To extend on @DaveK reply...

If you use "File > Open" to import the IGES file, having changed "Files of type" to *.iges, look on the bottom left of the dialog and you'll see an Options button.  There you can select the checkbox on the Advanced tab for "Automatic Sewing of Surfaces".  Another good option to choose is Optimize.  The same checkboxes are found when using "File > Import > IGES".

If, however, you choose to Sew the surfaces together after you've imported the IGES data, choose Apply rather than OK when you complete the Sew command - gaps will be highlighted with an asterisk.

Regards, Ben

Master
Master

Allright! Thanks for the responses and I will try these ideas out and get back.

Shags72 Mfg. Eng.
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
NVIDIA Quadro P3000

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Good tip on the "apply" to see any gaps. 

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Master
Master

Thanks! That worked on this part and had no problems with modifying what I needed to get the part up to snuff. Appreciate the help!

Shags72 Mfg. Eng.
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
NVIDIA Quadro P3000