cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a symmetrically opposite part

Pioneer
Pioneer

I need to copy and mirror a part to create a symmetrically opposite part.  I would like the mirrored part to have its own history in part navigator - which is independent of the source part.  I first create a copy of the source part and then have tried the following:

1. Extract Geometry with "Mirror Body" selected.  This creates an opposite part but also leaves the source part, which I don't want.  I can hide parents, but that still leaves me with 2 bodies, when I only want the mirrored one.

2. Mirror Geometry.  Same problem as Extract Geometry (2 parts).

3. Transform with mirror.  I get just one part but all of the part history is deleted.

4. I have considered Wave Geometry Linker, but I am pretty sure that will not be what I want because the mirrored part does not have a part navigator history that is independent of the source part..

I come from an I-deas background and would like to find something similar to the I-deas "Reflect" command with the "mirror only" option.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES

Re: Create a symmetrically opposite part

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
I come from an I-deas background and would like to find something similar to the I-deas "Reflect" command with the "mirror only" option.

Not currently possible, unless you're willing to mirror the geometry, remove the parameters and use Synchronous Modeling to make any changes. Your assumption regarding WAVE is correct - you can create a "Linked Mirrored Part", but it is linked back to the parent geometry (not independent) and has no history.

Existing ER 2099178: "When I execute "Mirror Body", I want "Reflect Only" as in I-deas."

Regards, Ben

Re: Create a symmetrically opposite part

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks Ben.

I came up with a work-around.  I first create a copy of the source part, which breaks the link to the source part.  Then I do a Wave Link mirror of the copied part.  With this method, I have a mirrored part which is independent of the original part, and I have history which can be accessed on the copied part.

And thanks for moving this post.