Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Isocline Curves

Creator
Creator

Hello

I am trying to create an isocline curve on a sphere based on an input angle. Using the extract curve option, I choose the vector type as + Z axis.

For the angles I choose start and end angles the same as my input angle ( 0 and 89 in my case) and a step of 0 since I want a single curve and not a family of curves.

When my input angle is 89, it gives me an isocline as shown in the following figure

Isocline_issue_89deg.PNG

whereas for an input of 0 degrees I get the following result

Isocline_issue.PNG

Now, I am confused because as per the definition of isocline curves the angle which I input is the ''Isocline angle (between specified direction and  normals of the curves) in degrees'' as per open C reference:https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/data_services/resources/nx/10/nx_api/en_US/custom/ugopen_doc... for UF_create_isocline curves. 

So as per definition above shouldnt the curves I got be opposite (as in for input angle of 89 degree i should get the curve I got for input 0 and vice versa) ? How exactly is an isocline defined in NX?

Thanks

5 REPLIES

Re: Creating Isocline Curves

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If you have a vector tangent to the sphere and normal to the curve, that will define the isocline curve.

In the first image, all the vectors tangent to the sphere and normal to the curve will be at an angle of 89º from the Z axis.

In the second image, all the vectors tangent to the sphere and normal to the curve will be parallel to the Z axis (angle of 0º).

That is what I understand of the isoclines. I use it in the same way than the draft angle, and it is very useful to get parting lines in spherical and concave/convex surfaces.

Phenom
Phenom

The first image shows the sketch used for extrusion and revolve, the second the meaning of isoclines curves.
Ciao

Creator
Creator
Does the same definition apply in a case which is not a sphere for example a free-form surface? Thanks for the help. That clears it.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Yes, it should work for any surface or solid body face, as long as it can be calculated.

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the illustration. this and the concept explained above helped clear my doubt.